I can't believe this is actually real! NOT CLICKBAIT

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
So, I saw this video of what I presume to be a Ghost Crab devouring a similarly-sized Centipede (unknown species). Can anyone tell me how this thing managed to even get ahold of the Centipede, more or less take it down? I dunno, I always thought Centipedes could easily kill a Crab with a single forcipule jab.

NOTE: I am NOT promoting animal cruelty or forced insect fights in any way.

Here's the video:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Crabs have a very solid exoskeleton, so unless the centipede manages to get a good grasp on a joint it would have a hard time. Likely was just they accidently ran into each other the crab decided it was hungry. With reasonably robust claws the crab would be able to hold onto the centipede. Definitely more of a struggle than I'd expect a crab to go through for a meal though.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Crabs have a very solid exoskeleton, so unless the centipede manages to get a good grasp on a joint it would have a hard time. Likely was just they accidently ran into each other the crab decided it was hungry. With reasonably robust claws the crab would be able to hold onto the centipede. Definitely more of a struggle than I'd expect a crab to go through for a meal though.
yeah, that is a good point. It's like a hungry powerhouse vs a heavily-armored tank, plus not to mention both are at a pretty decent size. Maybe the Centipede was the initial attacker, but when the tides of battle turned against it, the Crab decided it was hungry? Or maybe the Centipede was sick (or even dying) and wasn't able to put up as much of a struggle as it would if it was healthier and stronger. Idk.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I'm thinking the pede may not have been in the best condition. If it was on a beach, chances are it could've been either partly drowned and washed up, or dropped by a bird. Pedes don't just wander onto beaches.
Either way, when it comes to prey with weapons and armor, typically a pede would have to have something of a length advantage to triumph, as their main tactic when dealing with more dangerous prey is to wrap it up and immobilise it.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I've seen a video of a coconut crab catch a gannet, would not surprise me in the slightest if a crab could catch and kill a centipede. Ghost crabs can grab baby turtles and small seabird chicks and drag them away so they're definitely very powerful little predatora

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
I'm thinking the pede may not have been in the best condition. If it was on a beach, chances are it could've been either partly drowned and washed up, or dropped by a bird. Pedes don't just wander onto beaches.
Either way, when it comes to prey with weapons and armor, typically a pede would have to have something of a length advantage to triumph, as their main tactic when dealing with more dangerous prey is to wrap it up and immobilise it.
yeah, that'd be my guess

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
I've seen a video of a coconut crab catch a gannet, would not surprise me in the slightest if a crab could catch and kill a centipede. Ghost crabs can grab baby turtles and small seabird chicks and drag them away so they're definitely very powerful little predatora
that's true

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Keep in mind that, 'pedes, while excellent and intelligent predators, are predated as well like others. Plus crabs are heavy and strong like those Europeans huuge armoured knights of the past with iron maces and flail, in comparison :)

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
And yeah, I saw that same video. Man, i'd hate to be a Gannet sleeping one moment, and the next being flung to the ground and having my wings broken by a humongous crab.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Crabs are voracious scavengers that can and will eat anything that gets in their grasp.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
It looks like a S. subspinipes which can often be found near water or on beaches in most of their island range but I do agree that it seems like it isn't in the best condition (not least of all because it's being eaten!). It is equally possible that the 'pede was captured either alive or dead; but no matter how strongly it struggled or bit, crabs have very tough armor and a strong grip. The only way I think a 'pede could escape is if it autotomized a leg, but if it was caught by the body there really isn't any tactic a centipede has to escape like that. I doubt that a centipede even of that size would be able to find a suitably large place in the crab's exoskeleton to inject any venom.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I don't think a pede of that size would have much chance against a crab, just like one wouldn't have much of a chance of winning against a scorpion of similar proportions. What puts pedes at the top of the invert food chain in my opinion is their size. At this size ratio, a pede simply wouldn't be able to effectively immobilise its prey with its body. I daresay a very big pede such as a gigantea or large dehaani could take out a ghost crab if it was long enough to wrap its body around it, but at this size, that's nigh impossible.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pedes don't just wander onto beaches.
Actually some do. I have found S.cingulata 10 meters away from the sea, tucked into cracks in driftwood.

That made me think that is also perhaps how these animals spread across continents.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Seems this might not be so uncommon after all:

I mean I know the Centipedes smaller than it but dang...yeah, I'd have to agree with you, it seems 'pedes might just be a larger option in the Ghost Crab's diet than we thought.

Very cool, thanks for the video!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I am certain no Scolopendra could not harm an adult terrestrial crab with a carapace width over 2". I believe if I put a good sized Scolopendra in with my patriot crab the centipede would be caught quickly and at least partly eaten. Of course I would never have a "spare" centipede for such a purpose.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Don't underestimate crabs, they are fast, have an incredibly strong exoskeleton and those claws exert way more force than any scorpion. Nothing short of a full grown S. gigantea is piercing the exoskeleton of any decently sized terrestrial crab and even the largest pedes are still pretty soft bodied and totally vulnerable to a crabs claws. Anyone who has tried to grab a crab before will be familiar with how strong they are and how hard it is to avoid their claws without holding them from behind the carapace.