Husbandry Questions on Lasiodora Subcanens

Joeysorrentino88

Arachnopeon
I’m a somewhat new keeper in my second year I purchased an L. Subcanens sling. And it died in its first molt in my care. I tried to use the same husbandry as my parahybana which is a huge healthy female of about 5 inches already. I’m not sure what I did wrong wrong if the enclosure was to damp I keep them around 70% humidity and a steady 74 degrees it ate regularly and it ate a pinhead a few day before it went to molt when I found it looked like it tried to molt upright at the entrance of its burrow and was still half in it. It looked like it would have made it I don’t know what stopped it was a very healthy fast and active sling. There’s nothing on the web about them I did some research on the climate of their range Belo Horizonte and i was very close to that data. Is there anyone who currently has this species in their collection who can give me some recommendations. I would really appreciate it thank you

cold blood

Staff member
I would guess its due to your focus on that moisture and humidity...yeah, slings need moisture, but many fail to realize that too much moisture is one of the worst things you can do....in fact, its way more detrimental than an enclosure thats a little too dry.

NEVER measure humidity, theyre not amphibians, they have no such humidity requirements. A hygrometer in fact, is just not a useful tool for keeping ts.

In the future, keep part of the sub damp, like dampen half of the enclosure, and then dont add more moisture until it dries out. Keep it simple and you will be far more successful.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with the above statement that too much moisture is far worse that too little here and there. Tarantulas do best when they’re are variations to the moisture in the substrate where it dried out a bit instead of constantly wet and also minimal ventilation. This could have been an issue or simply not all slings are meant to make it and that’s just part of the cycle of life!

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Agree with not measuring humidity.

But could also easily just be a random death. Some percentage of slings just die before adulthood.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
good luck with the next one and just make sure you don't recreate the same environment as last time!