Humidity in T. Albopilosus sling enclosure

jay444

Arachnosquire
Hey,

I think I've put way to much water in the substrate when I made my sling enclosure a couple of days ago (it has not even started to dry) and I think that there is proper ventilation (see attached picture). I know that T. Albopilosus prefer a drier substrate.

Should I rehouse him? I want to stress him the less possible
I'm still kinda new to this.

Thanks for your help :)

95792980_1415440145306518_4450482942187143168_n.jpg

Last edited:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It’ll be fine on damp sub. That’s generally how I keep my slings.

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
As long as the substrate isn't wet it'll be fine. Let it dry out a bit by itself, if necessary. I keep them on slightly damp/moist substrate, they appreciate a bit of dampness in the sub.

But I would definitely replace the hide. If I see it right you've got a paper roll in there... it will mould. Better get a piece of cork bark or half of a flowerpot (can be made out of plastic as well, if you don't have anything else) and bury it in an angle, so only a small opening is visible. Your T will do the rest. :) And add a water dish.

jay444

Arachnosquire
Thank you all for your advices :)

If I see it right you've got a paper roll in there... it will mould. Better get a piece of cork bark or half of a flowerpot (can be made out of plastic as well, if you don't have anything else)
It is, I knew paper was not the best but I didn't have anything else to make a hide. I didn't thought of the half flowerpot, I'll be fixing it today, thanks for the idea.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thank you all for your advices :)

It is, I knew paper was not the best but I didn't have anything else to make a hide. I didn't thought of the half flowerpot, I'll be fixing it today, thanks for the idea.
Just make sure there won't be any sharp edges or such. :)

jay444

Arachnosquire
As long as the substrate isn't wet it'll be fine. Let it dry out a bit by itself, if necessary. I keep them on slightly damp/moist substrate, they appreciate a bit of dampness in the sub.

But I would definitely replace the hide. If I see it right you've got a paper roll in there... it will mould. Better get a piece of cork bark or half of a flowerpot (can be made out of plastic as well, if you don't have anything else) and bury it in an angle, so only a small opening is visible. Your T will do the rest. :) And add a water dish.
Done! Here is a pic of the updated enclosure.

95885012_239504720703968_1120021569788182528_n.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yes, that's better! :)
Now, it only needs a proper water dish and it'll be fine. That one is too small. It needs a dish it can actually submerge its mouthparts in. ;) Use a normal bottle cap and make it almost even with the ground for easy access.

cold blood

Staff member
The hide....its way too big. I would use one about 1/3 the size of that. Ts prefer hides that are tight, on top of that, a hide shouldn't be seen as a home as many beginners believe, its more of a front door. If the hide is a whole pot, it should be cracked in half as well...hides shouldn't be dead ends or have bottoms, its more the start of a potential burrow, a dead end prevents this....if its not a dead end like I suspect...disregard.

Other wise, with a larger water dish (don't worry, ts float, they don't drown), it looks really nice.

jay444

Arachnosquire
The hide....its way too big. I would use one about 1/3 the size of that. Ts prefer hides that are tight, on top of that, a hide shouldn't be seen as a home as many beginners believe, its more of a front door. If the hide is a whole pot, it should be cracked in half as well...hides shouldn't be dead ends or have bottoms, its more the start of a potential burrow, a dead end prevents this....if its not a dead end like I suspect...disregard.

Other wise, with a larger water dish (don't worry, ts float, they don't drown), it looks really nice.
I've cut the bottom of the flowerpot to make it a starter burrow, no need too worry with that 😉 I've noted the size for next time, thanks