Humidity for Psalmopeus

Ethan2112

Arachnopeon
Hi there!
I received a P. Irminia, P. Pulcher and P. Cambridgei today as a bundle deal with three deli cups, water bowls, cork hides etc.
The soil I used is your usual mix that was dried out but not bone dry, having put it all in the cup and having poked holes through the lid and across the top of the cup for cross-ventilation I've noticed the humidity has gotten high.
Placing a hydrometer inside it's maxed out, I didn't most or overflow the bowls, just put it all in.
Is it something to be worried about or should I attempt to place more holes in the cups?

Many thanks!

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hi there!
I received a P. Irminia, P. Pulcher and P. Cambridgei today as a bundle deal with three deli cups, water bowls, cork hides etc.
The soil I used is your usual mix that was dried out but not bone dry, having put it all in the cup and having poked holes through the lid and across the top of the cup for cross-ventilation I've noticed the humidity has gotten high.
Placing a hydrometer inside it's maxed out, I didn't most or overflow the bowls, just put it all in.
Is it something to be worried about or should I attempt to place more holes in the cups?

Many thanks!
Need photos, always post photos of enclosure when asking these questions.

Forget humidity, throw that out the window.

What sizes are the tarantulas and sizes of enclosures. Post photos of everything.

cold blood

Staff member
humidity is irrelevant...return the hygrometer of you still can.

They will like slightly damp sub, but can be kept dry as well.....theyre all very adaptable and will do well in a wide range of situations, and with a wide range of housing.

For ts, ones that are moisture dependent, keeping substrate damp is what matters, the moisture in the air doesnt matter other than it will affect the frequency you need to add water.....converselly, for those kept dry, humidity can be high, as long as the sub is kept dry.

For the enclosures, keep in mind they will likely make their homes at ground level, so its best to lean the wood in a manner to offer a ground cover...a little clump of plant at the base of the wood is also a good idea.

Ethan2112

Arachnopeon
humidity is irrelevant...return the hygrometer of you still can.

They will like slightly damp sub, but can be kept dry as well.....theyre all very adaptable and will do well in a wide range of situations, and with a wide range of housing.

For ts, ones that are moisture dependent, keeping substrate damp is what matters, the moisture in the air doesnt matter other than it will affect the frequency you need to add water.....converselly, for those kept dry, humidity can be high, as long as the sub is kept dry.

For the enclosures, keep in mind they will likely make their homes at ground level, so its best to lean the wood in a manner to offer a ground cover...a little clump of plant at the base of the wood is also a good idea.
Thank you for your reply!
I was hoping that was the case, the soil itself isn't dry, just slightly damp. Will look to keep it like that! Many thanks!

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Thank you for your reply!
I was hoping that was the case, the soil itself isn't dry, just slightly damp. Will look to keep it like that! Many thanks!
I would add some pin holes for air vents on the sides right above the substrate level. I can't tell from the photos if you do or not.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Humidity is important, but chasing humidity numbers usually is detrimental, as people tend to ignore other parameters in order to achieve such numbers.

As long as the substrate has some moisture, your setup will have enough humidity to prevent issues. So keep it well aerated, with a damp spot and forget about the hygrometer.

In case you want to keep the hygrometer simply use it to have an aproximate idea of the conditions. Keep in mind that nature and our setups are vastly different. While nature provides pleeenty of ventilation and airflow, our setup won't, at least not in the same levels. So do not try to achieve "same" humidity levels, as they will affect them in very different ways. Simply keep them within their tolerance levels.