how to prekill a superworm without making a mess

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Get a hold of it with your tongs get very sharp scissors and cut the head off , it's what I do I have a pair of scissors specifically for the beheading of t pray. I wipe between each beheading with kitchen roll then I wash them in really hot water no soap then dry with kitchen roll after every feeding session when I have t's that need headless for whatever reason post moult been hidden a long time ect. Its the easiest and cleanest way I found so far.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
This is a rather grizzly tactic, but if your animals are reluctant to accept pre-killed, you can render the super worms harmless by removing their mouths with a pair of designated nail clippers. The subsequent writhing about seems to be all the more enticing to some hesitant eaters as well...

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
i put them in a film vial, grab them with pointy tweezers right behind the head, press the head against the side of the vial so it can't move with the body and twist, the head comes right off

any mess is inside the vial, which you can just wash out after

i feed the heads to my P. saussurei sand roaches which mostly feed on carrion

Last edited:

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
I use a little dish to cut their heads off in and all the juices stays in the dish.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I usually use a small disposable scapel from my entomology supplies to cut the heads off or prey up into portions for the slings. Sometimes it can also help to pop them in the fridge before hand.

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
I take the worm, be it mealworm or superworm/morio, in a pinch so their head is fixated and they can't squirm. Then I take a pair of tweezers and crush the mouthparts and or the entire head until I hear it crunch. This will leave the worm alive and wriggling but unable to use its jaws or dig. If you want to immobilise the worm's body but still leave it alive, crush further back on the head. Make sure it's jaws are also crushed though.

Edit: oops just reread the question and completely missed the "prekill" part. Oh well, I'll leave this here in case someone finds it useful.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
No need for using scissors or anything like that, if you have pointy metal tweezers just squeeze one really hard near the head for a good few seconds and it's done for.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
No need for using scissors or anything like that, if you have pointy metal tweezers just squeeze one really hard near the head for a good few seconds and it's done for.
Agreed this is by far the easiest method if your feeding it whole!

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Late to the party here, but Ozzy Osbourne has a method that comes to mind if you're adverse to a little mess.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Crush there heads with a small rock. Or a knife.

Last edited: