How to feed Tarantulas for faster and bigger molt?

Denbert

Arachnosquire
I'd just like to ask. Isn't it that the growth of our Ts depends on certain aspects. One of which is feeding. I've been feeding my Ts every other three days and I feed them different feeders on every meal (Dubias, Lats, and Mealworms). I was just wondering, if I'd like my T to grow much much bigger on every other molt, what should I do? Feed them more? If I'm feeding them Dubias, I give one dubia per meal. If lats, I give them at least three small lats. If a mealworm, I just give them one. Would that be enough? Thanks!

Last edited:

Deeser

Arachnosquire
A bit controversial, but I don't believe any T will eat itself to death, although if it starts looking obese (has trouble walking, abdomen dragging on the ground, etc) you may want to lay off.

Once fangs harden after a moult, I feed mine every day or two, one prey item each day (rather than multiple every few days). I believe this keeps their metabolism more active, but thats just my observation. Once they are plump, I back off a bit and go by abdomen size.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Higher temps and frequent feedings will induce a faster growth rate. The rest depends mostly on genetics, gender and species.

A varied diet can't hurt either, as there are various nutrients available in different feeders.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I feed all of my Ts are varied diet. I'll buy crickets one time, then super worms, then wax worms, etc. I don't think I overfeed or power feed but who knows. I don't feed adults as much as slings of course, but even when I think a sling is dangerously fat I cut back on my feeding. But some people might think my slings are too fat regardless.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The amount of food and the temperatures that a T is kept at can affect how quickly they grow... within reason. You can throw all the food you want at a T and once they fill up they will stop eating. You can raise the temps ever higher but after a point, it won't increase how fast they molt. Those two things can aid a T in developing the new exoskeleton quicker but it still takes time to do so.

Saying you feed a T 3 or 4 times a week tells people very little. I feed all my Ts bigger meals spread out over longer periods. So my once a week meal likely is larger than most peoples 3 times a week feedings. My slings are all very plump and they are kept at 78-83F (usually 81F) in the pet room for the reptiles. While my Ts molts a bit faster (several of my MM have matured a few months faster than some sackmates kept by friends) it's not been a large acceleration by any stretch.

Again, regardless of how much food you stuff down their gullet or how hot you make the room, they still need time to develop the new exoskeleton before they can molt again. I wouldn't worry over power feeding and extremely high temps. Feed your slings well and give them a comfortable temp range to live in. They'll be grown before you know it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
On the feeder front, I have mostly fed all my Ts dubia roaches with just a few exceptions. I've known long time keepers who have only fed their Ts crickets. I've not seen (or heard) of any increased growth speed or better health from people who mix feeders over those who single feed. Still, it definitely won't hurt to vary the kind of feeders offered should you be inclined to do so. I just can justify buying feeders when I have so many roaches I'm giving the extras to my friend to feed his chickens.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Might I suggest buying more tarantulas while you're waiting on yours to grow up in the mean time? =p That's just what I do. They seem to grow faster, or I don't realize how slow they're growing, when I have a lot to watch haha.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont really think they grow more depending on what feeder theyre consuming. Their individual genetic make up and time are the only 2 real factors in that.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just can justify buying feeders when I have so many roaches I'm giving the extras to my friend to feed his chickens.
I go to a local small farm (mostly a petting zoo that happens to sell eggs/milk/etc, actually) every so often to feed the chickens dubia. They go absolutely bonkers, it's adorable. The adults even maim the roaches for the hatchlings. Definitely more fun than feeding tarantulas.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Haha!
As the saying goes, "Patience is a virtue!".
Why do so many want to accelerate the natural growth rate? :(

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I only feed crickets, mostly because it's the only feeder that is really permitted in the domicile.

Doesn't seem to affect them negatively.

I heard a rumor that feeding mantids only crickets is bad but there is no substantiated evidence to support that claim that I know of.

Denbert

Arachnosquire
Haha!
As the saying goes, "Patience is a virtue!".
Why do so many want to accelerate the natural growth rate? :(
Hehe. Actually, I'm more concerned on how to make their next molt bigger, a lot more bigger than usual. I mean, some molts and grows big just a little bit larger compared to their previous size. What I am aiming for is how to make their new exoskeleton a lot more bigger.

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Overfeeding is controversial on the hobby. But gut-feeding prey is fine in my opinion.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
I'd just like to ask. Isn't it that the growth of our Ts depends on certain aspects. One of which is feeding. I've been feeding my Ts every other three days and I feed them different feeders on every meal (Dubias, Lats, and Mealworms). I was just wondering, if I'd like my T to grow much much bigger on every other molt, what should I do? Feed them more? If I'm feeding them Dubias, I give one dubia per meal. If lats, I give them at least three small lats. If a mealworm, I just give them one. Would that be enough? Thanks!
Check my thread about growth rates for more details but generally speaking feeding alone won't increase growth speed much, you'll need to keep them pretty warm in my experience. If you just feed them a lot they'll get to premolt quick and then they'll be in premolt for long.

As for how many insects you should feed, that depends on the size of the T. You'll also want the insects to be gut loaded before you feed them, I use a variety of things but mostly repashy grub pie, crested gecko diet, carrots, and potato.