How soon after your first T did you get more?

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
I'm just curious about others experiences! I've spent the last few hours today watching videos and reading info from Tom's Big Spiders, and getting myself all amped up thinking I should go ahead and look into buying another T, possibly a sling. But I don't want to rush into slings because of how new I am already to keeping Ts, so I'm satiating my interests by reading more and looking at cool spider pics lol.

That being said... I am extremely tempted to get a C. Cyaneo/GBB, I saw some listed on Fear Not Tarantulas. They have 1" to 1.25" slings available, which I know would be a little more forgiving than a much smaller sling, but the temps here have gotten colder again so I would probably be best waiting for warmer temps anyways. In the meantime, I'm going to continue reading up :)

I was also very tempted with C. Elegans and D. Pentaloris, but the only availability I've found so far have been very tiny slings under 1/4", and I'm not so sure if I'm ready to try that yet. But one day I WILL have dwarf species because they're honestly looking to be my favorites so far!

I only recently got my first, a 2.5" male T. Verdezi. I've always been fascinated with tarantulas and their behaviors and I'm extremely happy with my first choice of T, because he is so interesting! He's often out and about when I come into the room, though he will retreat to his burrow once I'm visibly moving around in the room. I love seeing what he does with his burrow.
Today I noticed he pulled a small stone that was in the far corner all the way down into his den, which he has conveniently cleared out a window for in the opposite corner of where the stone was 😅 I wonder if it just fell in while he was moving around, but there's a decent mound of substrate it would have had to get rolled over to fall into the burrow entrance... Makes me think it might have been deliberate, which would be even more interesting!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
About 4 years. I started with a rescue of an AF OBT. Got our 2nd T after she passed of old age. The rest came a tad quicker but we never went nuts, even though we work shows with a dealer. I think the most we ever added at once was 4

lukasrood

Arachnopeon
2 months after I got my first I got 2 more lol. They are just so cool and easy to care for. Why not?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
After being taught and raised through someone else's collection. I started on my own with 5 tarantulas :rofl: . So whenever a person is ready, they will get their second or however many tarantulas they are prepared and ready for.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
My first T was a 3/4" sling (A. purpurea). I added a 2" juvi C. versicolor (basically identical care needs) two months later.

After those, I waited until they both gained some size and I had rehoused each at least once before I considered a few more.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
I've been keeping T's for 4 years, and for the first 2 years I only had one spider (an adult female Arizona Blonde). Its only over the past 2 years that I've started keeping more, getting to around 20 by the end of my third year of keeping. From then on I added more and today I have just over 30 (plus one or two other inverts) and I'm stopping at that (as when some of the slings I have grow up, that'll be all the room I've got for T's gone).

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
A week lol My first T was a wild Aphonopelma eutylenum I caught on cali. Within a week I had 2 P regalis slings, a male p Formosa, a few pamphos, and a couple A Metallica. Then it got worse from there. After a 10 year hiatus from the hobby I started over with 3 Singapore blue juvi and now I’m up to 145 spiders. Mostly old word arboreals. I actually just finished getting all the available pokies in the hobby.

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
A week lol My first T was a wild Aphonopelma eutylenum I caught on cali. Within a week I had 2 P regalis slings, a male p Formosa, a few pamphos, and a couple A Metallica. Then it got worse from there. After a 10 year hiatus from the hobby I started over with 3 Singapore blue juvi and now I’m up to 145 spiders. Mostly old word arboreals. I actually just finished getting all the available pokies in the hobby.
That sounds like a dream-worthy accomplishment to have collected at least one of every available species of a genus!

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
That sounds like a dream-worthy accomplishment to have collected at least one of every available species of a genus!
It’s definitely been hard going for a few of the ESA species but yeah. It had been a goal of mine to complete a genus. Now we need ethically and legally CB rajeai and srilankensis in the hobby LOL

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
About a year before I got my second. First T was a very chill AF G. rosea, the second, a B. boehmei, became my longest kept T. Let's say I took my sweet time and learned from many newbie mistakes before I got a 2nd.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I waited some years. I think it's a STUPID idea for anyone that has no experience w/Ts to get a bunch at once. I had no experience, thus I waited!

lindale450

Arachnopeon
I have regalis, ornata,rufilata and metallica. What would you say is the next in line to get? 🤔

Taffy

Arachnoknight
I'm just curious about others experiences! I've spent the last few hours today watching videos and reading info from Tom's Big Spiders, and getting myself all amped up thinking I should go ahead and look into buying another T, possibly a sling. But I don't want to rush into slings because of how new I am already to keeping Ts, so I'm satiating my interests by reading more and looking at cool spider pics lol.

That being said... I am extremely tempted to get a C. Cyaneo/GBB, I saw some listed on Fear Not Tarantulas. They have 1" to 1.25" slings available, which I know would be a little more forgiving than a much smaller sling, but the temps here have gotten colder again so I would probably be best waiting for warmer temps anyways. In the meantime, I'm going to continue reading up :)

I was also very tempted with C. Elegans and D. Pentaloris, but the only availability I've found so far have been very tiny slings under 1/4", and I'm not so sure if I'm ready to try that yet. But one day I WILL have dwarf species because they're honestly looking to be my favorites so far!

I only recently got my first, a 2.5" male T. Verdezi. I've always been fascinated with tarantulas and their behaviors and I'm extremely happy with my first choice of T, because he is so interesting! He's often out and about when I come into the room, though he will retreat to his burrow once I'm visibly moving around in the room. I love seeing what he does with his burrow.
Today I noticed he pulled a small stone that was in the far corner all the way down into his den, which he has conveniently cleared out a window for in the opposite corner of where the stone was 😅 I wonder if it just fell in while he was moving around, but there's a decent mound of substrate it would have had to get rolled over to fall into the burrow entrance... Makes me think it might have been deliberate, which would be even more interesting!
i think i waited 2 months? i started with a G. pulchra sling and then 2 months(?) later i got a pink toe. i still have the g. pulchra, turned out to be male. still a tiny thing

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
I have regalis, ornata,rufilata and metallica. What would you say is the next in line to get? 🤔
I depends honestly what your budget is and what you’re looking for. You have the two monsters available in the hobby and one of the prettier ones with P Metallica. P regalis is a good species to enter the genus due to availability and they get pretty big as well (7”+)

If you can’t find sp highland or Subfusca, I’d go with Miranda or Formosa. The iridescence on Formosa is gorgeous and Miranda has some really nice contrast that is reminiscent of both sp highland and Subfusca. They both get to a reasonable 6” so your not looking at a huge spider either. The rest are more nuanced in their appearance or fairly rare like hanumavilasumica

8 legged

Arachnoprince
The first was a Brachypelma vagans, now Tlitocatl. I lived in a dorm in '96 and a neighbor had offspring. It was a gift. I raised him and mated the male three years later. In 2000 a Hysterocrates gigas and an Aphonopelma semanni were added - for a simple reason: there was nothing else. In 2004, due to a change of location, I gave all my equipment away for free to one of my interns at the time. Then followed a 10-year break... after that time, initiated by my daughter, and because of my stable living situation, it really took off. Since then, the population has varied between 80 and 150 animals, although I have now reduced to my clearly preferred species. I breed and watch them. Interestingly, after all possible ways, I got stuck with the solid, i.e. classic ones. So you can say that I started in moderation and at the time of the "expansion" knew exactly what I was doing and was able to guarantee the spiders what they were entitled to.
On internet stock exchanges you can see quite well how spontaneous decisions often end... the animals are sold off cheaply. I regularly read the following sentence "due to private life circumstances I unfortunately have to part with my darling...".
Of course, who believes...

Sorry, too much time in my bath tube...🤣

Last edited:

lindale450

Arachnopeon
I depends honestly what your budget is and what you’re looking for. You have the two monsters available in the hobby and one of the prettier ones with P Metallica. P regalis is a good species to enter the genus due to availability and they get pretty big as well (7”+)

If you can’t find sp highland or Subfusca, I’d go with Miranda or Formosa. The iridescence on Formosa is gorgeous and Miranda has some really nice contrast that is reminiscent of both sp highland and Subfusca. They both get to a reasonable 6” so your not looking at a huge spider either. The rest are more nuanced in their appearance or fairly rare like hanumavilasumica
I think Amanda has had the highland and Subfusca available before although not on their site atm, I will keep an I out once expo season starts and might go for Miranda and Formosa too then

Peloquin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought an adult female chile rose about 25 years ago. 3 days later I bought an adult female P.murinus, C.darlingi and (as it was back then) H. lividus, along with about 50 mixed spiderlings.