How Long After Molt to Feed Sling?

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
I have a 1.5” sling that just molted two nights ago, but is active again. How long do people wait before trying to feed? Im about to go away for 10 days, so if it’s not now, going to be a while. Abdomen still looks reasonably thick.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a question that’s been asked a million billion times on here— should I research first? What a crazy idea!

Tell us what your research provided you here, and we will let you know if it’s wrong- that’s more than fair Esp On Christmas

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
I have a question that’s been asked a million billion times on here— should I research first? What a crazy idea!

Tell us what your research provided you here, and we will let you know if it’s wrong- that’s more than fair Esp On Christmas
Fair enough. I had searched for “Feeding Sling After Molt” and didn’t see anything obvious in the first few pages. I’m leaving in less than 24 hours, so I thought I’d ask. I will do some more searching, and try other combinations. Merry Christmas!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fair enough. I had searched for “Feeding Sling After Molt” and didn’t see anything obvious in the first few pages. I’m leaving in less than 24 hours, so I thought I’d ask. I will do some more searching, and try other combinations. Merry Christmas!
Did you try google that will search only within AB? I do that all the time, it’s very effective. This is basic owning a T 101, a lot like “does it eat insects?” type “knowledge”.

I searched using your EXACT TERMS in google

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Did you try google that will search only within AB? I do that all the time, it’s very effective. This is basic owning a T 101, a lot like “does it eat insects?” type “knowledge”.

Honestly I had no idea that was possible—I just used the forum search function. I will figure out how to do that, thank you. I did eventually find a relevant post with a few helpful answers, including one of yours, so thank you for both tips. Unfortunately I can’t see her fangs to judge that way (which was a method I had read about), but I’m just going to wait til I get back.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
My self….I would wait.Generally,slings harden up quicker than juveniles or adults,but unless you can get your sling to eat in the next 12 hours in front of you,I would wait till you get back.
I would try and feed the appropriate prey,Just make sure it takes it down and eats.Otherwise,remove the feeder before you leave,and supply water source.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Honestly I had no idea that was possible—I just used the forum search function. I will figure out how to do that, thank you. I did eventually find a relevant post with a few helpful answers, including one of yours, so thank you for both tips. Unfortunately I can’t see her fangs to judge that way (which was a method I had read about), but I’m just going to wait til I get back.
No prob! I would wait too

Black fangs are the ONLY 100% safe way to do it

ladyratri

Arachnopen-minded
Arachnosupporter
Make sure you leave a full water dish, so they have somewhere to drink if they need to. With that, they should be fine for the 10 days...

I would try and feed the appropriate prey,Just make sure it takes it down and eats.Otherwise,remove the feeder before you leave,and supply water source.
If I were going to try it at all before leaving, I'd go with a pre-killed feeder and something soft e.g. a chunk of mealworm. It won't scavenge unless it is ready to eat, and there's no need for it to defend itself if the feeder is already dead. Even with pre-killed, I'd remove the feeder before you leave so it doesn't leave a moldy mess in the enclosure.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have a 1.5” sling that just molted two nights ago, but is active again. How long do people wait before trying to feed? Im about to go away for 10 days, so if it’s not now, going to be a while. Abdomen still looks reasonably thick.
Until the fangs are black. Feed pre killed.

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Thank you all very much, and Merry Christmas! I do leave lots of extra water with my Ts when I go away--everyone gets some moist sub where appropriate and at least 1 extra water dish, or an additional double-sized water dish when it fits in their enclosure. I also build a little makeshift water fountain for my jumping spider (small lidded condiment cup with a hole drilled in the top, water and organic cotton inside, with a bit of the cotton sticking out the top).

OriginalDrGonzo

Arachnopeon

I couldn't imagine being this upset over an easily ignorable question. Wow. It's unfathomable. I did hear from many sources though that people on Arachnoboards are particularly grumpy.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I couldn't imagine being this upset over an easily ignorable question. Wow. It's unfathomable. I did hear from many sources though that people on Arachnoboards are particularly grumpy.
Not everyone is that grumpy 🫤.. but I’ll admit it’s a rather basic question. I generally give an answer because it’s easier than linking a care sheet .
if I can’t see the black fangs, I generally wait an extra week. So 1-5 weeks depending on tarantula size.
The moderators set up a pretty good guide