How big of a tank (in gallons) would an adult Lasiodora parahybana need?

Spaceman

Arachnoknight
If you want to treat it well, a 10 gallon tank is good but usually their fine in a large critter keeper.. depends on how you feel like keeping it. T’s don’t generally need a lot of space.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Aquariums are for fish. The issue is that aquariums tend to favor height over floor space - an LP needs no more height than its own leg span, and arguably less than that.

If you're just a little handy, you can modify a standard 10gal aquarium to sit on its side. This actually works very well, but it's honestly not worth the hassle. Just get a plastic storage container, those things were basically made for tarantula keeping.

If you want to still be able to see the spider, then simply modify the lid to have an acrylic top. Easy enough - cut out the middle of the lid, cut acrylic to the correct size (many hardware stores will do this for you), and hot glue it in place. May not be pretty, but it's functional.

KenD

Arachnosquire
I have a terrarium that's 40cm/16" x 30cm/12" (and 30cm/12" high). Would that be an OK size for an adult LP (my sling's not even am inch and a half yet, but good to be prepared anyway)? It should be roughly the same floor space as a 20 gallon tank.

(I hope you're OK with me butting in on your thread like this, #ThatDudeChris123)

ZedsDead

Arachnopeon
Ive been starting to think about this as well. Mines only an inch and a half but I’ve noticed she walks around a lot more then other species. I’m thinking a 20 long when fully grown with a lot of natural decor is the way I am going to go.

ThatDudeChris123

Arachnopeon
I have a terrarium that's 40cm/16" x 30cm/12" (and 30cm/12" high). Would that be an OK size for an adult LP (my sling's not even am inch and a half yet, but good to be prepared anyway)? It should be roughly the same floor space as a 20 gallon tank.

(I hope you're OK with me butting in on your thread like this, #ThatDudeChris123)
sorry im super late but yes its no worries!!