House Centipede Care

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Here is the enclosure I set up for her! Thanks again for all the advice and info! IMG_8352.JPG

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I don't know, personally I would expect a minimum lifespan of 6 months, and a maximum lifespan of 1-2 years. Just a guess.

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
That would be awesome! Those are so cool!
Not going to lie,I actually do say "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen" a little too often to take me very seriously when I say it.
But that's the coolest thing I've ever seen! WOW!

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Sooo... I went to check on her today, and she has vanished. I don't think that she could have gotten out because she was in a tote with a lid and she can't climb plastic. If she died, I couldn't find a body. There was one log that was kind of hollow, but I really cut it apart and the inside was tiny, looks too small for her (I'll actually tear it apart to make sure in a day or two). I dug completely through her substrate so I am confident she didn't burrow. I think she must've dried out as the humidity seemed a little low. I guess if she died of desiccation she could've shriveled enough to make it hard to see her. I'm scared that she did get out though and is roaming my room at night lol.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I sometimes think that an invert has escaped, I tear apart the cage, look through all the decor and substrate, etc, nothing. Then the next day the invert in question will just be sitting there in the cage, like nothing ever happened! She may still be in the cage believe it or not, so keep the lid on and all the decor in the cage.

Considering how leggy these are, I think you would have found here body if she died. So she is either still in the cage, or she got out... be on the lookout for a leggy blur moving around your house, lol!

In any case, I hope she turns up.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
I tried to rear a house centipede before, and it escaped as well. The centipedes will find any scratch mark on the acrylic, dirt residue on the walls, and will clamber to the top of the sticks to escape. I advise if you do find the centipede, some Vaseline, a tight lid, and closer-to-ground-level branches should prevent it from running away.

Illusion

Arachnosquire
aww no, that's a shame. At least you can keep an eye out for another one.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
It was more of a "hey that looks cool! I think I'll try to keep it alive." not too dissapointing to have it dissapear.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
HOLY CRAP THAT ASIAN ONE WAS HUGE!
I am kind of so grossed out by these xD But I guess they are pretty cool, they have nice patterns. I live in NY, and I have heard that lots of people here find them, but I never can. I have seen one once, a tiny one at my school, I was so terrified and intrigued, since I had heard so much about them, but never saw one until then. I need to find one of these guys!

ian s

Arachnopeon
I kept a large one once in a naturalistic tank with much shelter that allowed for moist microhabitat. I had my hand in the tank one day and the 'pede darted up my arm, across my shoulders, and down my other arm back into the tank! They are very interesting animals, I think they make good pets and are ready eaters, but just because they live around people doesn't mean that they don't need much attention. They do desiccate quite easily, and the legs are easily injured if they are restrained.
Hi, I've wanted to keep one as a pet for a while now. I caught one a few months ago but it drowned in the water I gave it. Whats the best way too take care of them? Can they eat mealworms? How big should the tank be? Anything else I should know? I really don't want this one to die! :(

SilverfishMom

Arachnosquire
I found a house centipede today and thought I'd try keeping him/her as a pet. Does anyone have any experience keeping these guys? Do they prefer a moist or dry habitat? I read that you can tell male from female because the female's last pair of legs is longer, is this true? I also read that their bites are not bad, is that also true?

Thanks in advance! Most info on the out there is exterminator's pages lol.
I actually had a pet house centipede! Make sure it has places to hide and dirt to dig into.

TreMul

Arachnopeon
I had one as well. I live in east Tennessee and they're everywhere during the warm months. They're also very ready eaters and SUPER FAST. That said, mine also disappeared. Totally my fault because I had some live plants in the enclosure and I'm certain it crawled up a plant and out of the enclosure. No worries though; while they're creepy looking, they are great hunters and will kill any bugs hiding in your house.