Home Depot play sand

raouf

Arachnopeon
Do u guys think I should wash the play sand (marked on it already been washed) before I house a desert scorp in it? I got some stones too from home depot that I plan to wash and bake as well.

Moose9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I never did anything with the sand I bought before and never had a problem. But always good to take precautions. To wash the sand, I would put it into a fine wire mesh colander and rinse well with water from the garden hose.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never did anything with the sand I bought before and never had a problem. But always good to take precautions. To wash the sand, I would put it into a fine wire mesh colander and rinse well with water from the garden hose.
Yeah, I didn't do anything either. I bought my play sand from Home Depot as well. You don't need to bake it, either.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have my desert hairy in that same sand. I didn't do anything with it before using it.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, I didn't do anything either. I bought my play sand from Home Depot as well. You don't need to bake it, either.
i only bake "my" sand because i get it locally from the desert. and I wouldn't want to waste a scorpion on some thing living in the sand. i don't see what a water hose could really help when washing play sand though. germs?

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i only bake "my" sand because i get it locally from the desert. and I wouldn't want to waste a scorpion on some thing living in the sand. i don't see what a water hose could really help when washing play sand though. germs?
Washing sand is typically done to help remove and reduce the amount of silica dust released into the air. Not good stuff to breathe in and I'd assume it doesn't do the inverts any good either.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Washing sand is typically done to help remove and reduce the amount of silica dust released into the air. Not good stuff to breathe in and I'd assume it doesn't do the inverts any good either.
yea i see now, to bad there isn't better stuff for people in other states to buy though.

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I always wash my play sand by putting a small amount of it in a sterelite container and letting water from the faucet pour slowly on the sand to wash out anything sedimentary (silica dust) while keeping the more coarse pieces on the bottom. I only bake my substrate for less hearty species.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I wash my sand and then bake it (local sand) and boil my rocks in bottled water.

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I get this stuff from Lowe's botanical department called "desert sand". I think it's just natural sand from, yaknow, some desert somewhere. It doesn't have large amounts of silica dust in it like manufactured sand, nor is it so fine as to cause joint or booklung problems like "hobby sand". There are natural variations in size of the particles and the larger bits seem rounded as though tumbled. It's going to be kind of pricey to set up large sand-only enclosures since they only come in 5lb bags though. (A 5lb bag of sand is pretty small.)

Also, not sure if it matters, I'm using this to mix up tarantula substrate, not for sand-only scorpion tanks. When it comes to scorps i'm just a big poser.