Help with choosing my first tarantula

Kona1997

Arachnopeon
Hello,
another new keeper in need of some help. I really want to get into keeping tarantulas and maybe building a small collection. Currently I am undecited on a species (probably Grammostola plchra or Brachipelma smithi) but the problem im having is that spiders I am considering all have urticating hairs (so new world) and i live in quite a small room with a dog and a bearded dragon. I am not concerned what effect these hairs will have on me but on my animals. Last thing i want is for my dog or beardie to have problems with them. I should add that I can rehouse and feed and do such things without them beenig close im really just concerned about tarantulas cage beenig in the saim room. Do I worry to much or do you think my animals could have a problem?
oh also I dont plan on handling the tarantula and will probably get a sling.
Thank you for any and all answers! :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Your other animals won’t have any problem, you are worrying too much. It’s relatively easy to avoid all problems with urticating setae with minimal precautions! Go for it get a tarantula!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Unless your dog/beardie are sticking their faces into the enclosures then they aren't gonna have any problems

TheHound

Arachnoknight
I'd be more concerned with an OW species - if it escaped and bit your dog that could be serious - but being in the same room as enclosures containing Ts with urticating hairs? I doubt that would be likely to be much of an issue, especially if you are careful.

AshtheSpider

Arachnopeon
Honestly my first tarantula was an Aphonopelma chalcodes and I have no regrets great species and never kicked hairs at me if your set on old world here’s a video (NOT MINE!) abt the good ones:

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
^ Don't get an Old World for your first Tarantula. It skips the phase of enjoyment and learning to go directly to fear of the animal, instead of respect (in most cases) as their bites pack a heavy punch, could harm small animals or have lasting affects.

@Kona1997 I've never had any issues of the urticating hairs on any of mine, except when I put a molt of a Brachypelma in my hands to take a picture. Those hairs were in my hand for like two weeks and itchy as heck. But don't go putting your hand or face near their molts or cages and you should be fine.

Get a pulchra over smithi. Smithi are beautiful, but they kind of just stand there and look pretty. lol. Pulchra are little bulldozers. There ARE a few New World tarantulas that don't have typical urticating hairs (they are only on their pedipalps, or not at all), but they are kinda fast: E. murinus, Psalmopeous species, N. incei

Last edited:

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
My three doggos have never checked out the tarantula shelf before. Not curious like they would be for a small rodent pet. They are in the same room often. No issues at all.

Watch for tick treatment as ticks are arachnids and the between the shoulder drops arent really a good idea, i go with the pills for tick and flea treatment.

Urticating hairs... as jonnytorch mentioned, dont rub the molts against your eyelids. I handled a molt and rubbed my eye and was a little itchy for a few days. ;) i learned a valuable lesson that i now impart to you.