Help please-Mite infestation on emperor slings

aruj

Arachnopeon
Hello all. I've 10 emperor slings (~1"-1.5") housed together, and since about a week have been seeing these mites on 6-7 of them. They're all around their eyes. I do keep their container clean & remove visible boluses. Now how do I remove the mites from them, plz. I fear they might be making the scorps uneasy. Thanks.

Attaching pics for reference. MVIMG_20200102_122121.jpg

Attachments

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Please read this guide: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/all-you-need-to-know-about-mites.309211/
Short sum up is that you need to put some fruit/vegetables/meat in the enclosure and then let it rot.
Let it go really stinky, the meat needs to smell like 'death'.
I have had one encounter with a few mites on a H. Petersii, followed this guide and got done with it in just 2 weeks.
In my case i rehoused the scorp into a smaller temporary enclosure to easily store the scorp somewhere else because of the nasty smell.
Good luck.

Entomologist210

Arachnopeon
If you want to knock the mites off you can always use the shake 'n scrape method we use for beetles (though it will DEFINITELY piss off your scorpions). Get a jar and fill it halfway with cornmeal, then place the scorpion in it. Shake until the mites are free and then retrieve the scorpion. The cornmeal grains will knock off the mites without damaging the scorpion.... apart from making it really angry. You can also use a bag and toss it like chicken, but not sure I'd want to with something that has a big stinger.

aruj

Arachnopeon
If you want to knock the mites off you can always use the shake 'n scrape method we use for beetles (though it will DEFINITELY piss off your scorpions). Get a jar and fill it halfway with cornmeal, then place the scorpion in it. Shake until the mites are free and then retrieve the scorpion. The cornmeal grains will knock off the mites without damaging the scorpion.... apart from making it really angry. You can also use a bag and toss it like chicken, but not sure I'd want to with something that has a big stinger.
Oops. That's like putting the scorps into a torture chamber. Don't think i have the heart for it!

aruj

Arachnopeon
Please read this guide: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/all-you-need-to-know-about-mites.309211/
Short sum up is that you need to put some fruit/vegetables/meat in the enclosure and then let it rot.
Let it go really stinky, the meat needs to smell like 'death'.
I have had one encounter with a few mites on a H. Petersii, followed this guide and got done with it in just 2 weeks.
In my case i rehoused the scorp into a smaller temporary enclosure to easily store the scorp somewhere else because of the nasty smell.
Good luck.
I shall try doing this. Though i know this will take time. Only hope their speed of multiplication doesn't exceed my speed of eradication.

aruj

Arachnopeon
Any updates on the mite infestation ? Any progress ??
hello,
have managed to get the situation in control by keeping the humidity levels down to around 55%. mites off from mostly all of them. had read somewhere, the mites don't like non-humid places much, though the scorps are somehow tolerating.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
It looks like the mites were hitching a ride on the scorplings, nice to hear they are off them now.