Help me choose my T I pick up from the show 😁😁

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
I know beauty is subjective, but it's not the main thing I'm looking for, it does help a little but out of these Asian species I'm looking for the least reclusive, best eaters. Size isn't important I just don't want no dwarf species which I don't think any of these are. Looking for fast growth. Beauty is a plus but as always, it's subjective. So the species I am looking at are all Juvie to sub adult females:

Chilobrachys sp. Kaeng Krachan
Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati
Phormingochilus sp. Rufus
Ornithonoctinae sp. Mindanao

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
My nearest expo is a hour away if I had a car that could make it there (I don’t) I wouldn’t just get one tarantula. I’ve also got 70 percent males on average as slings so having a sexed female saves a lot of guessing. I vote Chilobrachys sp. Kaeng Krachan

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Do you see that out more often yeah?
My sai yok never burrowed or hid , it depends on the individual. Sadly it had a bad Molt and I’ve never had money to replace it . Nor have I ever seen that specific species again .

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
I have no hands on experience on any of these species. I have watched many videos of those species through various channels including Daves little Beasties and Tom Moran.

I was moved by the beauty of the
Chilobrachys sp. Kaeng Krachan. I think if i were to choose one of the four, after doing my research and had to make a choice based on what I am looking at, it would be the Krachen. A big black spider that is a heavy webber burrower. I have a thing for webbing.

However, for me, there is way more to consider. Arboreal vs burrower… What kind of setup do you want? What effort do you want to put in? I think that would shorten the list of choices.

For the record, i have a few tarantulas that are considered “dwarf” just because they stay small. They are not true dwarves in the sense of science of course… anyways, they pack everything: beauty, eye candy, awesome eaters, make their enclosure their burrow and if well set up, you can see them more often then not, not picky, always a joy to watch in action…

So yeah, that being said, I would go with the Krachen.

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
It's more a question which is out the most. I have kids that come to stay, two daughters and I know how to safely rehouse Terrestrials and Fossorials but I've heard all Arboreals can jump quite a distance on top of being lightning fast so if one was to jump away It would be worrying but the Hati Hati is beautiful too. I think it's a toss up between the Kaeng Krachan and the Hati Hati. What would help me decide more is what was out on display more though as I know Arboreals will still stay reclusive behind the cork bark just as Fossorials may stay in their burrows.

Two of my favourite You Tube channels along with The Tarantula Collective.

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
Those two channels are my top two. I have watched a few of the tarantula collective because I like to have an extra point of view. It is not so much about the overall esthetics, props, but the ambience and the tarantulas. I love to look at them, afterall, dont we all 🤪.

I have kids coming in my home aswell. They love looking at the Davus pentaloris. I also have P. murinus. They are the ones who are the most out.

All spiders can teleport if they wanted.
Many do not because that is not how they evolved. Of course, arboreals have mastered the art of flying. One would need to if they live in trees afterall.

It depends on your setup: have you tweaked it enough that you do not need to open it for maintenance and feeding? I can do cleaning, feeding and watering without opening my enclosures that house my P. Murinus. But they are dry and do not have the same special requirements as asian species.

Any hungry Tarantula will be visible with a little patience at feeding time. My 4 inch G pulchripes female is always a beauty to look at when she feeds, yet she is your basic pet rock when she is not busy being a pet Hide.

I feel an arboreal might be more visible then a pet hole. However, if you master the art of Tarantula husbandry like Daves little beasties, you might see your tarantulas more often even if they are reclusive.

I have little experience compared to most in this forum, however, I make many efforts to provide appropriate care and I see my tarantulas often. Especially when the sun sets. And when I get up at 4:30am 🤪.

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
I haven't. All my Ts are smaller than my juvenile female A geniculata, I have an US C darlingi same sort of body size almost with shorter legs, a 3 cm H namaquensis and a 3 cm H pulchripes, and the smallest I have is a C meridionalis sling which is 1cm. They are all in plastic storage boxes with clip-lock lids and plenty of air holes with cork bark hides. My A geniculata has a fake plant in there at the moment which I'm hoping to get in most of them, that's if the other species don't web up there enclosures too much. Water bowls have water replaced daily of course.

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
H. Pulchripes is a beautiful tarantula. It is on my wishlist. My wishlist is imposed due to space requirement availability and the fact that my roommate has a maximum spider in the household limit 🤪. I have not maxed out yet but there are other species i wish to aquire before H pulchripes. Your A. Geniculata should provide quite a show for the children.

They are not in your list, but a terrestrial adult female would provide a lovely tarantula to look at. I encourage you to make some modifications if you can to your futur tarantula’s enclosure if it is a feisty one. It will allow the children to interact in safety. And allow you to provide all the needs.

My P. Murinus webbed their enclosures beautifuly and I have been able to “unweb” the water dish through the ventilation holes with bbq wooden sticks. One of them was actualy “bathing” in their waterdish the other night. Webbing is awesome. I hope whatever you choose is right for you and them.

I have not had the privilege to go to a show yet, but I know too many impulsive buys happen there. It is hard to resist haha. Take your time.

After reading all the posts again, perhaps you are looking for a display Tarantula. Something beautiful too look at that is also low maintenance.

Going to shows can litteraly throw someone off their objective haha. What privilege you have! Make sure you pick for health also. No hitchhikers. Inspect those lovely spinnerets… Previous Badmolts leave signs.

Glorfindel

Arachnoknight
Omothymus sp."Hati Hati"
I see it on display every evening, aside from molting of course.

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +

Perhaps this thread will assist you.

The Spider House

Arachnolord
I know beauty is subjective, but it's not the main thing I'm looking for, it does help a little but out of these Asian species I'm looking for the least reclusive, best eaters. Size isn't important I just don't want no dwarf species which I don't think any of these are. Looking for fast growth. Beauty is a plus but as always, it's subjective. So the species I am looking at are all Juvie to sub adult females:

Chilobrachys sp. Kaeng Krachan
Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati
Phormingochilus sp. Rufus
Ornithonoctinae sp. Mindanao
Assuming you are going to the NW Invert show,at Wigan?

I will be there too.

Phormingochilus sp. Rufus would be my choice from your list. Don't rule out those impulse buys tho! 😉🤣

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire

I will be there too.

Phormingochilus sp. Rufus would be my choice from your list. Don't rule out those impulse buys tho! 😉🤣
Yeah I went to Wigan. I did pick up the Hati Hati, I also picked up a Cheloctonus jonesii and was given a Dead Leaf Mantis. Got plenty of decor and stuff too. Hopefully there will be another North West show next year 😁😁

Pic of the Hati Hati juvenile female... Screenshot_20240603-012126.png

I will be there too.

I do like Phormingochilus sp. Sabah Blue after having a look at a few pics. That may just be my next although I'm tempted by a Kaeng Krachan.

I do like Phormingochilus so Sabah Blue after having a look at a few pics. That may just be my next although I'm tempted by a Kaeng Krachan.
The Scorpling I picked up was a beauty they are amazing little eaters. My Cheloctonus jonesii Scorpion...
IMG_20240602_195026297.jpg

The Spider House

Arachnolord
Yeah I went to Wigan. I did pick up the Hati Hati, I also picked up a Cheloctonus jonesii and was given a Dead Leaf Mantis. Got plenty of decor and stuff too. Hopefully there will be another North West show next year 😁😁

Pic of the Hati Hati juvenile female... View attachment 474681

I do like Phormingochilus sp. Sabah Blue after having a look at a few pics. That may just be my next although I'm tempted by a Kaeng Krachan.

The Scorpling I picked up was a beauty they are amazing little eaters. My Cheloctonus jonesii Scorpion...
View attachment 474684
I was there too. I had a list of 40 males I was looking for but none were there. TBH, I wasn't really expecting there to be any, as many are rare and most traders don't take many males as they are not usually the best sellers.

I did pick up...
Sericopelma sp generalum (juvenile female) and
Pamphobeteus esmeraldas (AF)

I was talking to the organisers and there was 600 pre show on line tickets sold with a further 400 on the day so 1,000 visitors. The venue was really good with plenty of space between the tables so the chances of another North West invert show is very high. Also met @Konstantin Konstantinov there, a member on here and someone I have known for years too. 😊

I went with a couple of the guys who own the pet store I go to for live food. They are heavy into mantis and made an instant bee-line for them. Ha ha

All in all, a great day and nice to meet again and speak face to face with a number of traders who I supply slings to.

Butterbean83

Arachnosquire
Where they from Manchester the couple you went with? I don't want to name business names on here as per the forum rules but I know people heavily into their mantids that were there. That generalum I saw on a certain table of a well known online store where a certain guy known for breeding Scorpions was helping out, that's where I picked up my Scorpion and saw the generalum. I was looking to see if I could see sp Santa Catalina. Got that and another Ornithonoctinae type T on my list now.

The Spider House

Arachnolord
Where they from Manchester the couple you went with? I don't want to name business names on here as per the forum rules but I know people heavily into their mantids that were there. That generalum I saw on a certain table of a well known online store where a certain guy known for breeding Scorpions was helping out, that's where I picked up my Scorpion and saw the generalum. I was looking to see if I could see sp Santa Catalina. Got that and another Ornithonoctinae type T on my list now.
No, from my home town. Blackpool

The Santa catalina are very nice. Just waiting for my male to mature to add them to my breeding projects