Help for Tapinauchenius purpureus/Tapinauchenius violaceus

kestrel

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I've got a purple tree spider that has me a bit concerned, and was hoping I could get some advice.

I purchased the spider about three weeks ago, its nearly mature (estimate from size only) but had been kept in a vial it must have out grown when still a sling. It couldn't even turn around in the vial. It had probably been in it on the store's shelves for weeks - maybe months.

It's horribly undernourished - I've only seen it eat three turkistan roaches within the first few days and nothing since.

It's kept in a T room with heat regulated between 75-76 and 80-81 degrees, tank misted twice a week, turkistans on hand, and was believed to have molted fairly soon before I purchased it.

I believe it to be female based on ventral shots which makes its opisthosoma's size even more worrisome to me.

Tarantulas being all instinct I find it hard to believe that even kept in that sling vial that it could have lost the 'knowledge' of how to hunt, but at this point I really don't know what to think.

I'd love some suggestions or advice.

Thank you!
Tam

Attachments

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
100% Mature male. He is probably on his way out if he is rejecting food. Pretty much how all of my MM's have gone out. If you think he still has what it takes to mate you should send him out on a breeding loan.

kestrel

Arachnopeon
Can you please explain how this is a MM? I'm not seeing a difference per the epiandrous fusillae method. ??? Thank you!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you please explain how this is a MM? I'm not seeing a difference per the epiandrous fusillae method. ??? Thank you!
Look at his pedipalps.. You can see the eboli.. (I think its called eboli..)
An easier way for me to explain it is the "boxxing gloves".. His palps have them.. If I am not mistaken this sp. also has the tibial hooks..

You should deff. try and send him out on a loan & get you a bunch of little babies.. :)

kestrel

Arachnopeon
Thank you both of you. I feel better knowing he's male, although hate to lose him soon. Will def try and breed him! :)

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Even w/o seeing his modified pedipalps you can see it's a male just by the color alone. Go look in the tapinauchenius galleries and you will see what a female tap. violaceus looks like.

kestrel

Arachnopeon
Thanks. Did a double take this morning - he has hooked out, he's just so bristley I missed them completely. Guess there's a reason I named him Jack. ;)