Has anyone noticed this

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I've been looking for a new T just searching the Internet, I'm new to the hobby but have done extensive research, can anyone else believe the stupidity of some people selling T's on preloved or gumtree I seen one post with someone saying I'm selling My tarantula after a year its called tiger because it looks like one don't know much else, how did this guy get permission to buy one in the 1st place. Am I the only one to notice this stuff or has anyone else seen it?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I think we've all seen something of the sort at one point or another. There is no required course of study, examination, or qualification process for owning a pet (or having a child, for that matter!) and a lot of people dive right in without really knowing what they're doing, often to the detriment of the animal in question.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I think we've all seen something of the sort at one point or another. There is no required course of study, examination, or qualification process for owning a pet (or having a child, for that matter!) and a lot of people dive right in without really knowing what they're doing, often to the detriment of the animal in question.
I just was taken back with it as a tarantula is a venomous spider not something to be taken for granted just surprised that some people don't even know the species they have

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've been looking for a new T just searching the Internet, I'm new to the hobby but have done extensive research, can anyone else believe the stupidity of some people selling T's on preloved or gumtree I seen one post with someone saying I'm selling My tarantula after a year its called tiger because it looks like one don't know much else, how did this guy get permission to buy one in the 1st place. Am I the only one to notice this stuff or has anyone else seen it?
I literally have NO idea what is going on here.

Preloved what? Gumtree wood? Get permission from who?!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just was taken back with it as a tarantula is a venomous spider not something to be taken for granted just surprised that some people don't even know the species they have
It's not that uncommon. I have one myself that I don't know the species of because the person I got it from did not know. I'm pretty sure it's some flavor of Grammostola but that's about the best I can do.

People think "Hey, a tarantula would be a cool pet!" and they get one someplace like Craigslist or the classifieds ads or even a local pet store, where it may be identified only by a common name such as "bird eater" or "red leg" or "zebra" or "pink toe" or "baboon" or whatever - any of which can refer to multiple species - or it may be unidentified completely or identified incorrectly. Not everyone is interested in learning the scientific names of the spiders - and even those of us that do care about the scientific names aren't always able to tell related spiders apart just by eye-balling them.

Often, it is cheaper to buy these "mystery spiders" from some sketchy local source, rather than buying correctly identified spiders from a reputable breeder or importer - and if all you care about is having a big, hairy spider to impress your friends, knowing exactly what kind of big, hairy spider it is may be unimportant.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Preloved is a website fo

Preloved is a website for pets and gumtree is a website for to sell anything on

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Preloved and Gumtree are online classifieds forums in the UK, similar to Craigslist in the US.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
It's not that uncommon. I have one myself that I don't know the species of because the person I got it from did not know. I'm pretty sure it's some flavor of Grammostola but that's about the best I can do.

People think "Hey, a tarantula would be a cool pet!" and they get one someplace like Craigslist or the classifieds ads or even a local pet store, where it may be identified only by a common name such as "bird eater" or "red leg" or "zebra" or "pink toe" or "baboon" or whatever - any of which can refer to multiple species - or it may be unidentified completely or identified incorrectly. Not everyone is interested in learning the scientific names of the spiders - and even those of us that do care about the scientific names aren't always able to tell related spiders apart just by eye-balling them.
I understand what you mean, I'm just surprised by the lack there of knowledge in owning any sort of animal and not knowing anything about it. Ye wouldn't find someone selling a dog and saying yeah I know the breed it's a dog lol

Sorry never noticed you were from the US

Last edited by a moderator:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I understand what you mean, I'm just surprised by the lack there of knowledge in owning any sort of animal and not knowing anything about it. Ye wouldn't find someone selling a dog and saying yeah I know the breed it's a dog lol
Are you kidding??? I don't know the breed of either one of my dogs! One is a poodle mix of some sort - probably. The other may be some sort of terrier. The only thing I can say for certain is that they are both dogs. Of course, with dog breeds, they're all the same species anyway - and mixed breed dogs are very common. There are a great many dogs/puppies (and also cats/kittens) listed for sale or adoption without specific breed information.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
So it’s pretty much someone selling Black knee blue rump pink toe tiger tarantula on craiglist. I see.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I love the one saying "We just don't have the time". Tarantulas have got to be the most low maintenance pets on Earth.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I love the one saying "We just don't have the time". Tarantulas have got to be the most low maintenance pets on Earth.
That's how I ended up with Velcro, my A. avic. His previous owner (craigslist) just didn't have time for him. He's SO MUCH TROUBLE you guys! :rofl: Hours of work every day, I tell ya.