Harpaphe haydeniana (Yellow spotted millipede) found in Portland, Oregon

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I have a Harpaphe haydeniana that someone found and gave me today. It's still curled up but I put it on a bed of semi wet cocofiber with some moss in a container with ventilation. I can get some rotting wood and leaf litter for it tomorrow and I have read a few old threads so far but if anyone has any tips or tricks to share I would graciously accept any help. This is my first time even seeing one so I'd love to learn more about and if I should keep it.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
How big is it? Could you send me pictures with a size reference so I can see the condition of the millipede? I’m familiar with Polydesmids as I breed one species myself and there’s various things you can do throughout their life that can make a chance at survival even greater, all depending on age though. So far it sounds like you’re doing good but I would find a rotting log with some really rich soil nearby that has decaying wood pieces mixed in, grab a good bag of that and bake it to remove pests, then once it cools dampen it and use that as the substrate. Then I would probably get some oak leaves from outside or at least deciduous leaves of some kind and shake them out pretty good to get any big insects off then use that without baking it as a boost to the new dirt bioactively. I wouldn’t be concerned with outside materials coming in to the tank (substrate being the exception I would bake that so you can kill off parasites or predatory insects) as long as you know they haven’t been sprayed with pesticides since the millipede originated from the area, it’s already wild caught. Has it uncurled at the point that you’re reading my message?

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Thank you tremendously for your response. Unfortunately, when I went to take a picture of it for you it was still curled up and already deceased. I was curious if it would react at all if I tried to un-curl it, and it did not at all. What might have happened is the container he had put it in for transport had some hand sanitizer residue in it, and I had gently rinsed it off in my hand before placing it on the substrate.
The info you provided is extremely helpful, I'll be researching some more in case I come across another one someday and tagging you if I have questions. Thanks so much again.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Thank you tremendously for your response. Unfortunately, when I went to take a picture of it for you it was still curled up and already deceased. I was curious if it would react at all if I tried to un-curl it, and it did not at all. What might have happened is the container he had put it in for transport had some hand sanitizer residue in it, and I had gently rinsed it off in my hand before placing it on the substrate.
The info you provided is extremely helpful, I'll be researching some more in case I come across another one someday and tagging you if I have questions. Thanks so much again.
No worries! Sorry to hear that it passed away, that always sucks. I actually bought a species of polydesmid online and it arrived dead but the rest of my millipedes in the same shipment were fine so they’re pretty finicky. Feel free to message me with any questions in the future 😀

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
No worries! Sorry to hear that it passed away, that always sucks. I actually bought a species of polydesmid online and it arrived dead but the rest of my millipedes in the same shipment were fine so they’re pretty finicky. Feel free to message me with any questions in the future 😀
Sorry to revive this thread, but I’ll be coming into possession of a group of Harpaphe haydeniana WC from Squim WA. I’d like to gather as much info as I can on proper captive husbandry for them if your willing to oblige.

Thank you!

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Sorry to revive this thread, but I’ll be coming into possession of a group of Harpaphe haydeniana WC from Squim WA. I’d like to gather as much info as I can on proper captive husbandry for them if your willing to oblige.

Thank you!
Did you get these yet?

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
They had all passed by the time I went to get them. I’m gonna be going up there in a few months to collect a few myself.
Oh, that's too bad. When you get some, if you make a thread about them, kindly link me to it please.