Handling centipedes?

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is the best way to start hold centipedes? I want to hold one and was wondering what the best way to start holding one is? And what is one of the best species to start hold?
Thanks to all for helping me on this

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would say the same way you introduce a T. Just walk it onto your hand that your holding right next to the cage using a butterknife or paint brush...

On which one are good starters you got me?
I don't have any pedes

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't handle centipedes. They are pretty unpredictable, more so than Ts. Their bite is a lot more painful, imo.

If you do though, just be really careful. They are quick.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just let them walk onto your hand.

Also, realize that you will eventually get bitten...I've been prodded dozens of times and even though that has yet to translate to an honest bite I have no doubt in my mind that one day it will.

Start with S. polymorpha.

TheForSaken

Arachnopeon
I've got a modest collection of pedes but, haven't had the balls to handle none of them yet. Good luck with that.

bluegootty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yup agree..pede r unpredictable, they can cral on your hand for a second and the next is gona b their fangs in your hand... i think they are much more the type of pets that you can enjoy feeding them and just watch em period..Handling are just crazy...

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Stop being such a nance... and hold the damn thing!
If you pick it up wrong, that's just asking for a bit that you might still be feeling two weeks down the road.

This is the worst thing you could possibly say in this scenario.

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay??? He wants to hold a pede, not be rediculed and talked out of it...
In all honesty there is no right way to handling a pede... some ways are just safer than others.

Imo this thread in rather inane... especially since no one has directly answered his question.

I would let you know how to handle one if I had experience... perhaps cacosphere can help. He handles all types of insect and is quite knowledgable!

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks to all I am going to start trying to hold one of my scolopendra mutilans
I have been think about it and I am going to try. I know that when ever you hold somthing that is not made to be held you are going to get bit one time or another.
Thanks again

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

though i'd never touch a pede with my bare hands i suggest to avoid holding a subspinipes species if you do it the first time.

They got one of the worst venoms of all pedes - if you really want to handle a centipede, start with one that only hurts if it bites.

If you're not convinced read cacoseraphs Indo-blacktip-bitereport...then you'll probably get the point. ;)

Greets
Turgut

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In all honesty there is no right way to handling a pede... some ways are just safer than others.
You do realize that the first half of the sentance contradicts the second half, right?

There are ways to pick centipedes up (such as just grabbing it) that will result in a bite ~100% of the time from a centipede.

There are ways to pick centipedes up (such as letting the pede crawl onto your hand) which will result in a bite rate signifficantly less than ~100% of the time.

There is always the risk of a bite no matter what you do and that risk is signifficantly higher than that of even the nastiest OW tarantula. Considering the venom strength of most centipedes, this is a bad idea. Possible, but still a bad idea.

I handle 'pedes about as much as Caco, BTW.

bluegootty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
damn chesire.. ur as crazy as the other dude with the name pede wrangler..anywayz i have like 4 different pede..and im just gona keep em as eyes candies..not handling pets..like u said..the rate of the pede bite are quite high compare to T...so im just gona stick to mine instinct..you folks that handle pede are crazy....well i noe one guys,which is adam from jansen exotics..i think that he's crazy too,but then again you guys are brave hearts..i need to work on that...LOL:D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if you haven't seen the giant centipede handlign thread you might want to check that out

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=48720

as for species... i would definitely try to acquire a Ethmostigmus trigonopodus (BUT ONLY THE BLUE RING LEG FORM!!!!). at 75*F, when well fed and hydrated they are generally not inclined to bite at all... and it seems like their venom is utterly inoffensive (at least to me). 'ware the yellowleg form... second worst bite i had and worth a sleepless night of pain =P

Scolopendra morsitans, Egyptian Emerald centipedes also seem to have fairly inoffensive venom... but it is hard to say as i have fairly weak reactions to most venoms, compared to the average person

it seems like Scolopocryptop species don't have that strong of venom... but i can't recall ever being bitten by them, personally. i have heard it feels like a bee/wasp sting and the pain can last 1-4hours.

Ethmostigmus trigonopodus "african yellowlegs", Scolopendra morsitans "Tanzanian tiger" males at least, and Scolopendra subspinipes are all to avoid.

you notice the same species names appearing on the possibly ok and very bad lists, eh? weird... dunno why some localities don't seem to be human reactive and some give crushing pain. bugods with a sense of humor, i guess.