Handled my first buthid YEY!

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MichiganHerp said:
well no i havent but ill say this have you ever seen a bite from a naja naja..even a small babies naja naja has enough potentcy to kill about 4-5 grown heathy men or say a bite from a crotalus .durissus sp of any kind....hemo and nero toxins so not are you only getting rotting of the flesh but you are also getting severe nero damage at the same time .....i dont know any scorp that does that ....but as for the handling of a scorp it is un needed and i do agree with that

abthony
Tony,
Hemiscorpius is one nasty bug that has no antivenom. On top of the strong nuerotoxin the venom causes necrosis... nasty.

As for the snake/scorpion comparison... What the scorpion lacks in volume it makes up with overall toxicity. Look at it this way, an emperor scorpion sting by itself is pretty harmless, however if you were to take that sting and multiply it to match the envenomation of lets say a rattlesnake I would imagine that you'd end up being a pretty sick individual. Now if you changed the scorpion to a Deathstalker, you'd be a very dead individual.
food for thought.
-Mark

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well as far as i know hemiscorpius posesses a cytotoxin instead of a strong neurotoxin.

MichiganHerp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmmm

welll i dont realy want to get into this ...but i meen this is like telling some one who likes dogs that cats are better....but in the toxiity levles of snakes most snakes carry a venom that will cause more probs then just that ....i meen look at the saw scale viper from afica... if you get bit ..it is a slow acting venom and well has the same afect as ebola your insides slowly rott away and you bleed from all orifeses and slowly die and there are many of these animals that we keep that do not have anti venom.....i have done the comparesen and say the death stalkers sting is about as toix as say...southern pacific rattler...wich in my end of the hobby is not a snake you have to realy worrie about.....now what i was realy saying in the beginning of this is it is alot less likly to get stung by a scorp then biten by a snake...unless you have your hand in with them...were a snake can leap/jump/stike/ at lightning speed out of the cage at youand the comparison of how many ppl die from scorp stings compard to lets say a puff adder bite in afica each yr ...there is a huge dif.........yes i do say i dont know alot about scorps ...but i do know alor about venomous snakes and well all i was saying is i am more worried about getting hit by a snake them a scorp anyday ...thats all i was saying ....but just do me one favor and look up say the bite from a afican twig snake or a boomslang or say a bite frome say a cobra or a mamba or yet just like i said some of your crotalus sp... the death rate and toxity of the venom is alot higher and more deadly.......

but like i said also its like say dogs are better them cats ....its all in opinion and well most arent going to even go look it up to find anything out about this subject they will just stick by what they already know

anthony

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll refer to my previous statement regarding volume vs. toxicity, this time I'll include LD50,

You compared the Deathstalker to a southern pacific rattler, lets look at it purely from a LD50 rating (in mg)

Crotalus viridis helleri - Southern Pacific rattlesnake - LD50 rating: 1.135
Leiurus quinquestriatus - Death Stalker - LD50 Rating: 0.16

in terms of toxicity, Milligram for milligram I'd say the Deathstalker wins. Now if the bite/sting is comparible in terms of effects (as you stated previously) that supports what I said previously. The Deathstalker uses considerably less venom to get the same results as a much larger envenomation.

I'm not saying snakes aren't dangerous, or that scorpions are more dangerous. My point was that comparing them is the same as comparing apples to oranges. Yes there are many snakes out there that are much more toxic then even more then the most toxic scorpion, however there are snakes out there more dangerous/lethal due to the size of the envenomation and not the level of toxicity.

I will say this though, as someone who has been on the sharp end of one of the nastiest scorpions in the world, never become complacent with them and always use precaution.
-Mark

MichiganHerp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not saying snakes aren't dangerous, or that scorpions are more dangerous. My point was that comparing them is the same as comparing apples to oranges. Yes there are many snakes out there that are much more toxic then even more then the most toxic scorpion, however there are snakes out there more dangerous/lethal due to the size of the envenomation and not the level of toxicity.

I will say this though, as someone who has been on the sharp end of one of the nastiest scorpions in the world, never become complacent with them and always use precaution.
-Mark[/QUOTE]

thats all i was saying in the first pleace was there are alot more toxic snakes out there and in *MY* factor i am more worried about getting taged by a venomous snake and not a scorp......seeing that i keep some of the most toxic snakes out there ...but i dont even know how this tured into this ...but oh well ......all i was saying is like stated unless you have your hand in the cage and are not using tools to work with then you have a better chance of getting hit by a snake.....but when i talk about venomous snake i am refering to some of the more deadly ones out there not you typical rattler , copperhead,cotten mouth ,, no im talking about elapide and some of the old world vipers like macro viperea.... but like i said and you said ,apples to oranges....like i said dogs to cats wich is better its in the eye of the beholder

i meen i could go on all day about toxin lvl's of herps but there will always be some one on these bords telling you you are wrong..lol thats whats fun about it ;P
anthony

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Apples and Oranges

It's like this , what would happen for sure is....!!....well lets just say it would suck getting bitten by any of the formentioned scorps and snakes..
Deaths have happened both ways

Apples and Oranges fellas Apples and Oranges :wall:

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If it was up to me i rather get stung by a dangerous scorpion than by a dangerous snake pure for the difference in venom output. snakes inject a whole lot more venom. (dry bites excluded) wich makes medium venemous snakes more dangerous then highly venomous scorpions. Again not due to quanlity of venom but due to quantity.