H. Lividum rehousing! scary!

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Haha. So I'm sorry no video this time but I was alone and my phone was screwing up the video anyway. So I took these pics with my 5 mega pixel cam on my phone (which is working fine).

I started by getting an X-Large Kritter Keeper (15 7/8" x 9 3/8" x 12 1/2"). The depth appealed to me. There's still plenty of room on the surface too. I used two bricks of EcoEarth (coco fibre).

Then I cut a plastic soup cup in half and made sure to remove the half circle at the bottom. I filed down the plastic edges with a nail file until they weren't sharp anymore.

After I was done with that I used my very cheap (2.99!) Hot glue gun and glued the soup container to the side of the KK angling upwards as a possible burrow for the spidey.

I also have a little wooden hut that the H. Lividum used in it's previous container. I angled this one also and covered it in substrate and made sure to push some down inside the tunnel so the spider still has room for excavation.

I just want to make sure it has a lot of area to burrow.

Okay then same the water dish with a little quartz rock in it.

Alright, then same the transfer. I placed both containers on the floor next to each other and used a much smaller KK to move it. It definitely was very pissed at being coaxed out of it's hole. I got a nice threat posture response, several attempted striked at the paint brush, and then he just became very jumpy and made a couple breaks for freedom. All in all a very successful rehousing that filled my system with adrenaline. Lol. Pretty awesome spider.

Here's gollum! So pretty...

Finished!

I have a space heater in the room set on low heat also.

Yay!

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long have you had the spider? I am fascinated with these, but have mostly kept pretty slow-docile terrestrial species and avics. I'd love to eventually get one of the Haplopelmas, even if I didn't see it all that much. They are amazing animals.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice work on rehousing... i bet u didnt expect that little guy is a beast full fangs ready to strike and fairly strong as well.... u can actually feel the pressure when they strike the paint brush.... :D good job now u can do it all the time with out no worries...{D

Last edited:

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long have you had the spider? I am fascinated with these, but have mostly kept pretty slow-docile terrestrial species and avics. I'd love to eventually get one of the Haplopelmas, even if I didn't see it all that much. They are amazing animals.
I've had it since the 15th of December, 2009. H. Lividum's got me into the hobby, so I've wanted on for years and then finally just caved. However, he really hasn't been a difficult pet. Sure, it is defensive and quick to get into threat posture, but I haven't really been scared at any point except today. And it was a lot of fun!

He mostly just stays in a burrow, but it's pretty anyway. Maybe you should try one. A sling would be very cool to raise.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Put in more substate so it can make deeper borrows, it should have atleast 15" of substrate.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lots of fun digging them out :rolleyes:
I had to dig my SA Citharischius crawshayi out......used my hands (seriously) because I was afraid of hurting it.That was fun but got her out fine.
That seems something a lot of first time owners of haplo's and some baboons seem to forget......at some time,you WILL have to rehouse or move them.That is when the fun begins :eek:
Glad it went well....thumbs up.
Beautiful lividum by the way.
Paul

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the amount of substrate I have now will suffice his needs. I've heard a huge variation on how much people put H. Lividum's in, so anyone else care to weigh in on it?

Yeah I was really careful not to hurt him. I put the paint brush under his abdomen and gently coaxed him up into the container. I would never use my hands with this guy XD. I don't feel like being tagged.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I was not able to get a good ventral pic as his abdomen is jet black and the sex organs are barely visible to the naked eye. I'm just going to hope I can rescue a molt from it's lair.

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lots of fun digging them out :rolleyes:
I had to dig my SA Citharischius crawshayi out......used my hands (seriously) because I was afraid of hurting it.That was fun but got her out fine.
That seems something a lot of first time owners of haplo's and some baboons seem to forget......at some time,you WILL have to rehouse or move them.That is when the fun begins :eek:
Glad it went well....thumbs up.
Beautiful lividum by the way.
Paul
My C.Craw needs to be rehoused soon, you should come do it for me,cause the last time I did it she turned my hand into a pin cushion ...she's a super beast!!!

The only one of my haplo's I have trouble rehousing is my smallest female H.schmidti, the rest are like"whatever man".

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My C.Craw needs to be rehoused soon, you should come do it for me,cause the last time I did it she turned my hand into a pin cushion ...she's a super beast!!!

The only one of my haplo's I have trouble rehousing is my smallest female H.schmidti, the rest are like"whatever man".
It's fun though mate :D

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not necessary to dig them out, particularly if you're rehousing. Place a darkened container over the burrow's entrance and SLOWLY flood the spider's enclosure. It should climb right into the container, especially if it is a nice dark place. I would have a small hole in the closed end of the darkened container to accept a small paintbrush to help get the spider back out of the container.
Not too scary for you or your spider. ;)

Jon

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice job rehoming him/her.. I think one day I might have to pick one of these up.. (Not by handling!) Just pick up and add to the kiddos in the back.. :D

Nice looker BTW! :)

starscreamzx3

Arachnopeon
Why do they always climb up the sides of the tanks like that? mine does that too and it drives me crazy!lol!{D

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice tarantula and pictures of the whole process!! Good job!

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why do they always climb up the sides of the tanks like that? mine does that too and it drives me crazy!lol!{D
I've seen it with all the tarantulas I've ever rehomed/seen rehomed. I think it's just stress. Testing its boundaries. Perhaps they realize that the top was open when they were moved... if it's terrestrial it should only take a couple hours for it to start exploring the rest. The H. Lividum pictured above has since moved to the floor. Hasn't started a burrow yet but I expect it when I get home from work tomorrow.

And I would recommend this spider to anyone who doesn't have one and has half a brain! Don't try to feed it with your finger. Don't stick your hand in at all if you can help it. It's so gorgeous and interesting to watch.

that70sshow

Arachnopeon
good job man. awesome spider! make sure to take pics when she starts her burrow. i want to see that cage in future.

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of course! That's one of the reasons I started those two burrow areas with the deli cup and wooden hut, so I could actually see the burrow. I think I see a feed video soon. Hopefully.

I put a cricket in earlier today and now I can't find it, hours later. So good sign right?