H.gigas molting problem

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well thursday we left on a camping trip and i seen my gigas sitting in its water dish with a molt stuck to his leg, i figured he would of kicked it off by now right???Well i just got home and the molt is still stuck i cut the molt off and avioded his leg that was stick its his back left leg, its mangled pretty bad should i cut it off???Its like the bottom 2 segments of its left back leg, if i where to cut it off what would be the best way to close p the wound super glue or what?Im pretty worried about him please help.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you can see no way to remove the remaining moult without damaging the leg, do not cut the leg at any point. Instead, induce autotomy and remove the leg at the trochanter/coxa and let its natural blood stopping anatomy do the work for you.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thanks cm, ill update on this later on.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Is there any way for you to post a pic of the 'mangled' leg? You've got a lot of breathing room here because this happened in a moult. The only real danger from the leg with the old skin on it is if it is truly mangled, there's a good chance that leg won't moult again and become stuck and the T will wind up inducing autotomy during its next moult greatly increasing the time before it gets a good leg again.

You should probably give it a few days to see if the T throws the leg on its own.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That sucks Sean.I lost my large H.Gigas that way.I waited too long to do anything.Hope yours turns out ok.......Rich

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
@cm. ill wait a coulpe days and see what happens it looks like the bottom segment f the leg is twisted upside down dont hav a cam, on thursday like i said it had the intire molt stuck to this leg and i came back and it was lying next to its water dish still stuck there,so i cut the molt away avioding its leg so we will see what happens.

@Rich, yeah i remember when that happend mine hasnt shwon any signed of death and it crawled back into its hole after i cut the molt off and wasnt sitting by its water dish anymore hopfully it will be ok this thing is only about 3 inches after this molt it cant move that leg at the bottom thats about its only problem though im really hopin everything turns out ok...

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well i took your advice CM and didnt mess with the leg. Well after i cut the shed off around the leg the spider has been its normal self, it went back under ground webbed up the intire thing so there is just alittle tiny hole for him to creep through. Its aggressive still well more shy then aggressive but i think its going to make it so im happy, the leg is still pretty mangled and he kinda drags it alittle bit but its going to make it im pretty sure.