Growth Rate: Brachypelma albopilosum 'Hobby' vs. 'Nicaragua'

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Anybody keep both of these species and would like to chime in? Curious to see if there any differences between the growth rates and max. size

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Identical growth rates in my experience, but the Nicaraguan does get a touch larger. Nothing to write home about, though.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Is hobby the honduran? just curious on what hobby is i guess.
They’re known as ‘Honduran’, but they’re most likely hybridized with other ‘curly hairs’ over the years so I just prefer calling them the ‘hobby’ variants.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
My albo has a black carapace but not as curly as a Nicaraguan, so I consider it as 'hobby form'. Hard to find a pure one these days.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
My albo has a black carapace but not as curly as a Nicaraguan, so I consider it as 'hobby form'. Hard to find a pure one these days.
'Pure' ones/Nicaraguan ones were recently introduced to the hobby within the last couple years and they aren't too hard to find. Also, unless you're 100% sure that you know the locale of your spider, even if it did have curly hair, I wouldn't label it as one.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
'Pure' ones/Nicaraguan ones were recently introduced to the hobby within the last couple years and they aren't too hard to find. Also, unless you're 100% sure that you know the locale of your spider, even if it did have curly hair, I wouldn't label it as one.
I see, thanks for pointing that out. The seller I got mine form is also not sure of its origin so I'll just continue calling it 'hobby form'. :)
Won't be surprised if its interbred between the two forms of B. albopilosum.
Newly molted:
Recent photo:

Last edited:

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Does yours happen to still burrow? Mine is around 4 dls, yesterday it started to excavate its hide out, made itself a nice little area by the wall underneath the substrate where I can see it down there.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I see, thanks for pointing that out. The seller I got mine form is also not sure of its origin so I'll just continue calling it 'hobby form'. :)
@Exoskeleton Invertebrates may be able to determine what you have.

Now back on topic: I see no difference in growth rate, however the Nicaraguan B. albopilosum look better in my opinion. I have three Nicaraguan and one Honduran B. albopilosum.

Killertut

Arachnosquire
received slings of both species in summer. were the around the same age and size on arrivel and in my experience they grow at the same speed.

Minty

@londontarantulas
0E0DCA7C-671C-4FE7-987B-E0A6CDAD9565.jpeg
My Nicaraguan B.albopilosum. Can’t comment on growth rates as I got her the size before that moult, but I’m sticking the photo up so people can see another example of the Nicaraguan form.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They’re known as ‘Honduran’, but they’re most likely hybridized with other ‘curly hairs’ over the years so I just prefer calling them the ‘hobby’ variants.
I think @Exoskeleton Invertebrates has pics of WC specimens of both variants IIRC.

I know some are hybridised with vagans but it's fairly easy to tell how much of a mutt you have if that's the case.

As for your original question, the Honduran variant grows slightly faster IME.

Honduran
Nicaraguan
View media item 51239

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Newly molted:
Recent photo:
that’s the old hobby albopilosum.