Gravid...? (I know, people ask it a lot)

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm a little concerned that my female emp may be gravid. I've had her roughly one month and she's really ballooned in that time despite the fact that she barely touches food. She is extremely, insanely ornery, and is quite large (ie. doesn't appear to be a young, growing scorp who is just preparing to shed). She came from a tank that was basically all males save for her, so I have no doubts that she could have been inseminated. But I'm sortof hoping someone will see this and say "nope, she's just premoult/fat" because I really don't want babies. So... what do you guys think? If she is gravid, I want to know before she pops so I can read up on caring for scorplings.

Androctonus3000

Arachnopeon
Unfortunatly, there really is no way of knowing for Pandinus imperator(Emperor scorpion). The membrane surrounding the body is too thick to see embryos. The female becomes very hostile about 2-3 weeks before birth occurs, and will eat little to none during a period of 5-8 weeks before birth. Like I said previously, there isn't a sure fire way of knowing! Good luck, and nice Pandinus imperator!!!