got another t

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i went to my local petco today to pick up some crickets and saw that they got a new shipment of t's in. decided to pick up a new t. they had it listed as a pink toe. it said avic spp underneath it. i was wondering if anyone knew the full scientific name for this t. it measures a little over 4" stretched out and i believe it is a female. my collection is now up to three. i already had a g. rosea and a b. smithi.

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks. i did a brief search and saw a couple of pics that looked like the one i picked up. it is really docile and doesnt mind being handled at all. cool looking t.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree its probably the Avic.Avic because most pet stores only carry G.Rosea and Avic.Avic but congrats on your new T :)

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
most definetly avic. avicularia. they are nice t's i have 2 right now. both just molted vertical on the sides of their respective enclosures. pretty cool to watch. make sure they have something at the top of the tank so they can web their own retreat. i use dark colored construction paper on the outside of the tank in the same corner as the piece of bark to aid in the secretive feel. they seem to like it. green is a good color to simulate foliage.

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is it better for this type of t to have something to climb on other than the glass?

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by the new guy
is it better for this type of t to have something to climb on other than the glass?
Silk plants, and sterile branches work good..... Cork bark is a good hide also.... I just provided one anchor though, a section of sterile branch, check out my 1st ever pics thread, and you will see my avics web..... She went crazy webbing up the top of the jar after a few weeks of getting settled in....

Avics are awesome..... I think I would recommend them as a more docile and entertaining beginner species over a G. rosea any day!! Just have to watch out for those jumps!!

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I kindda agree with that...and watch out for the poop shoot...boy they go far..

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on your new addition!! Probably an A. avicularia.

Andy

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Originally posted by manville
I kindda agree with that...and watch out for the poop shoot...boy they go far..
For sure they have good aim with their poop shooting abilities

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for all the info guys. i put a fake plant setup in there yesterday and the t seems to like it very much. i just cant get the little girl to eat. the pet store only had her for about 5 days and did not know when the last molt was. they also told me that she had been eating every night. i know there is an adjustment period with new enclosures and wanting to eat. just a little concerned. she also has made no attempt at making a web yet either.

right after i read that poop post, it pooped all over my hand. i think she was laughing at me afterwards.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about her just give her time to adjust and everything will be ok :)

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hahaha...one time i was holding it and it shot poop and landed on my t shirt..

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my g. rosea pooped on my pants once. the a. avic i got has only pooped on me once so far, but im looking forward to many more. it has jumped off of me twice also. it startled me each time.

i put a cricket in there today to see if the t would actually eat it. no go. it actually stood on the cricket for a while. i'll leave it in there for another 24 hours and hope its gone by then.

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
when your avic does start to web you can usually place their food at one opening of the web with a pair of long tweezers or your fingers and the movement will draw them over. mine eat right from my fingers they are very gentle. be careful working with avic webs because they use their urticating hairs to line thier webs. i have to wear my glasses when one od my avics is out because she likes to shoot poop at my face.

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
she has started to make a web. it isnt that big and i havent seen any more progress in 8 hours, but it has begun. im just hoping i can get her to eat tomorrow.

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think i finally found a name....

how do you like carl??

i already have

ahab - b. smithi
eugene - g. rosea

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Carl....the first thing that comes to mid is the chubby kid on Jimmy Neutron...... Which is a funnny cartoon, Carl loves lammas. Yeah I know...40 years old and watches cartoons...

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think it's a good idea to use your bare fingers to hand over the cricket. Avics are very good-natured Ts but they can make mistakes. There's a bite report on an A. versicolor that nailed someone's finger during feeding. It's safer to use tweezers. Just be aware that you'll eventually condition the T to attack the tweezers.

Karen N.