Got a B. smithi yesterday and look what happened...

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was on my way up to my mom's house for my sister's birthday party, but I made a stop to make a transaction and picked up some T's along the way. I put them away in my sister's room up in the closet where they would be safe from little kids and the cat. I was getting ready to leave and this is what kept me from making 80 mile, long, bumpy drive back home.

This was a pretty cool experience. I took the pics in the guest room and my sister came by looking for me because she saw my car was still in the driveway and because I had disappeared for about an hour. I told her that I was watching a T molt and was taking pics. She's afraid of spiders, but she asked if she could see. She stuck around with me for another hour or so until the T finished molting, most of the time asking questions about Ts! She seems to be much better informed about these big, scary, hairy spiders now and she's much more tolerant of them now than she was before. :D I'm going to try to convince her to let me buy her a T that she could keep in her room to help her get over her fear of spiders.

Anyway, any guesses as to the sex?

gambite

Arachnoprince
Not completely sure, but I think it looks like a female. However, I am not the best at molt sexing..

Pink-Poodle88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's cool. Looks to be a female judging by the leaf like extension on the inside of the opisthosoma.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think I see a flap, can you get a closer picture focusing on the area between the first two booklungs?

Kevmaster06

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pics please:)

Canyou take a pic of what she looks like now because ive never seen what a T looks like after they molt.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations....

100% Girlie. :clap:
Now give her a name and tell us what it is!
How big did she end up being after the molt?
May I make a suggestion on a T for you sister? I would say get a B.albopolosium because there like a 8 legged kitten. :D

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the comments and confirmation on sex, everybody!

Kev, you asked for another, here's 3 more! :D

jbrd- I haven't measured it yet (don't know where to find a ruler or tape measure here), but the molt is about 1/4" longer than a Q-tip from R-I to L-IV. She's still huddled up, so I don't know much much growth there was. As for a name, being a beautiful Mexican female, I'm undecided but probably going with Salma. Also, thanks for the suggestion on the B. albo for my sister -- great idea!

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's one way to molt!

Did someone forget to tell HER to flip over on her back? Nice pics. Thanks.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, I was thinking that as I saw it happening! I don't know if you read my thread in the Q&D section where I asked if it was normal for one of my other B. smithis to be on its back after molting. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=116357

I just about freaked because the one pictured in this thread wasn't on her back at all (barely on her side), but my male that molted yesterday was curled up and not moving for a long time after molting (did it behind my back while I was watching TV) and then did 8-legged benchpresses with an invisible barbell for a while and then got back on his feet, so he's good and healthy and lively now.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
very nice pics.. she molted right up.. cool!! Congratulations on your new female!! :clap:

EricFavez

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Freaking little tarantulas are becoming like the new generation of kids these days, Just getting lazier and lazier! Thing didnt even feel like flipping on her back....Must have had a long day at work or something! Nice T though!

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I had another one molt on me yesterday. I was at my neighbor's house watching some fights and when I came home to grab something to take back, I stopped to check on my Ts and one of my B. smithis was molting! The one in the original post in this thread molted the day I bought her and her brother molted the next day. This one molted a week after I bought it and its brother and sister. I didn't get any pics of it while it was molting, but here's the skin. What do you think? Female? Thanks for looking!

I know this first one's flipped the wrong way, but since the others are kind of blurry, I thought it would help to get a shot of the other side.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I had another one molt on me yesterday. I was at my neighbor's house watching some fights and when I came home to grab something to take back, I stopped to check on my Ts and one of my B. smithis was molting! The one in the original post in this thread molted the day I bought her and her brother molted the next day. This one molted a week after I bought it and its brother and sister. I didn't get any pics of it while it was molting, but here's the skin. What do you think? Female? Thanks for looking!

I know this first one's flipped the wrong way, but since the others are kind of blurry, I thought it would help to get a shot of the other side.

im 100000000000% positive it's a female lol