Goldfish tank mates?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My girlfriend won a goldfish at the fair today. So I got it all set up in a 10 gallon tank. My question is, is there enough space for a tankmate? Like another gold fish or maybe some other small compatible fish?

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes you could put in one more goldfish. 20 gallons a fish is preferred .

Last edited:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
'Goldfish' are cold water fishes. Best to stay with other cold water fish. Yours is most likely a Comet. They can get pretty good sized (~8 inches) in the right conditions and with more tank space. I would only add a bottom feeder unless you eventually plan to get a bigger tank.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Will the 10 gallon be large enough to support the two gold fish and maybe one or two other smaller fish who prefer cold water?

Perocore

Arachnoknight
Can you try it? Sure. But honestly 10 gallons is barely enough for one goldfish to live a long, happy life...depending on the species, of course. I wouldn't go with smaller fish simply because goldfish seem to like to inhale anything they can fit into their mouth. If you want the goldfish to have a companion it's easiest to just get another goldfish of a similar size.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can you try it? Sure. But honestly 10 gallons is barely enough for one goldfish to live a long, happy life...depending on the species, of course. I wouldn't go with smaller fish simply because goldfish seem to like to inhale anything they can fit into their mouth. If you want the goldfish to have a companion it's easiest to just get another goldfish of a similar size.
+1
And goldfish tend to be pretty dirty. Invest in a good filtration system, if you don't already have one, and expect to do frequent partial water changes. Especially in a small tank.

The rule of thumb used to be: One inch of fish per gallon. But, you have to take into consideration the species, and allow room for growth, too. (I've been away from the fish hobby for awhile, I don't know what current recommendations are.)

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Goldfish get fairly large. We had one in a 29 gallon tank by itself for many MANY years.. It was a fantail and grew to the size of a softball from a very tiny cheap goldfish.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Goldfish are social so you should have 2 goldfish together but that's it and live plants they will eat, but 10 gallons is not enough for one goldfish. 30 gallons right now is good until they grow then your looking at 50+, there's a good reason why big goldfish live outdoors in ponds they get huge small tanks stunt growth and add on feces pollution and it your fish can get sick pretty quickly without enough room and proper filtration.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, 10 gallons is too small for any goldfish. It's egregiously small for a comet or other single-tailed breed, which is what people usually win at the fair. Unless you have an oversized filter and do constant large water changes your fish is going to be in poor health (assuming it is healthy right now, which is unlikely). I know it may seem like too much trouble for a little fish that probably cost fifty cents, but I think you should upgrade to a 20 or 30 gallon tank and treat your pet right.

Aviara

Arachnoknight
People are understating the issue the original poster has. Comet (or regular common) goldfish, ie. the ones with the more streamlined carp body and not a more compact body, reach about 2 feet as adults. Those that don't are stunted by poor water quality, usually caused by a too-small environment. These fish are pond fish! They are not aquarium fish despite what pet store employees, carnival vendors, etc. will tell you. They DEFINITELY cannot be kept for any length of time in a 10 gallon aquarium without stunting them. Please consider finding someone with a large pond to take in this fish and instead purchase a heater and set up a betta fish OR a small school (about 6) of neon tetra or harlequin raspbora. Keeping the goldfish in a 10 gallon, even with no other fish in the tank, will severely stunt its growth and force it to live a short, unhealthy life. Please feel free to PM me, OP, for more information on stunting, cycling an aquarium, and any other beginner topics you may have questions about. I've kept fish for a long time and currently have a 50 gallon running with three large happy fancy goldfish (much smaller bodies but these three max out my much larger tank).

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have the larger 30 gallon set up and ready to go for the gold fish. Now I was wondering
If anybody has any suggestions on fish that I can put in the 10 gallon since
It is already set up. This can be either a school of fish or maybe just 1-3 other fish species that will be able to inhabit this 10 gallon. Thanks in advance.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
I have the larger 30 gallon set up and ready to go for the gold fish. Now I was wondering
It is already set up. This can be either a school of fish or maybe just 1-3 other fish species that will be able to inhabit this 10 gallon. Thanks in advance.
Crayfish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jfulcher

Arachnopeon
I always put neons or danios even guppies in with mine. I of course had a fifty plus gallon tank. And eventually Goldie would eat them. But in a ten gallon I'd say guppies. Lots of guppies :p or a betta. I love my betta. He was a 20 buck fish.!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I never even thought of guppies. So would a school of guppies work with a Cory cat fish in a 10 gallon?

Or how about a school of tetras or tiger barbs in a 10 gallon maybe with a Cory
Catfish?

Aviara

Arachnoknight
First, the 30 gallon is still much too small for your comet goldfish. Consider putting a 2' carp into a 3-foot aquarium. It simply won't work. You could keep two fancy goldfish with no other tankmates in a 30 gallon as these guys are smaller and more compact, but you would have to be very diligent about water changes.

Dwarf corydoras (not standard 1"+ species), raspbora, small tetra, guppies, and other small fish would do well in the 10 gallon. The most you could stock would be, for example 6 neon tetra or raspbora, a ghost shrimp and 4 dwarf corydoras. Stocking any more would really be pushing the space and bioload of that tank. Putting 1 or even 2 species in the tank would be okay, but 3 species is pushing it in such a small tank and certainly no more than that.

1986 Coyota

Arachnopeon
People are understating the issue the original poster has. Comet (or regular common) goldfish, ie. the ones with the more streamlined carp body and not a more compact body, reach about 2 feet as adults. Those that don't are stunted by poor water quality, usually caused by a too-small environment. These fish are pond fish! They are not aquarium fish despite what pet store employees, carnival vendors, etc. will tell you. They DEFINITELY cannot be kept for any length of time in a 10 gallon aquarium without stunting them. Please consider finding someone with a large pond to take in this fish and instead purchase a heater and set up a betta fish OR a small school (about 6) of neon tetra or harlequin raspbora. Keeping the goldfish in a 10 gallon, even with no other fish in the tank, will severely stunt its growth and force it to live a short, unhealthy life.

You just said everything I had planned to. <3