Going on a 1 week trip. What do do about my Jumping spider?

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
So my mom has planned a 1 week roadtrip, and I’m unsure of what to do about me and my sister’s jumpers. The species are Platycryptus undatus and Eris militaris juveniles. They don’t need a lot of humidity. The main thing I’m concerned about is water. I know they can go for a long time without food, but I’m unsure how much water they need. If I feed them extra before I go, will they have enough water? (Because they get most of their water from their food)

So, any tips for leaving jumping spiders for a week? Thanks!

Platycryptus undatus named Mori
2C71FFE4-D204-4B53-A54E-FA959FE174BC.jpeg

Eris militaris named Egg
C63992B5-420E-44C0-BA11-DC42E6B881CA.jpeg

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I was recently on the road for 2 weeks - I sprayed the Phidippus terrariums properly and threw in a few small crickets - everything was fine when I got back!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bring them back t-shirts or other souvenirs, so they don't feel left out or hurt at being left at home while you are off on vacation?

Seriously, though - they'll be fine. Just give them a little spritz of water and a cricket (or whatever feeders you're giving them) before you leave, and do the same again when you get back. A week is nothing. They won't even know you're gone.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
You likely don't need to do anything but here's a trick I learned a while ago. Take larvae or pupae from a fly (depending on how long they're in the pupal stage), put them in an escape-proof container (only for larvae, make sure there is a hole at the top). Once the larvae/pupae turn into flies the flies will fly out (or climb out if you're using FFF) and the spider can eat them.

londonstanton

Arachnopeon
Hey! It's been a while since your post, but I wanted to offer some insight. Your road trip sounds exciting! For your jumping spiders, feeding them well before you leave should help. They do get most of their water from their food, so giving them a bit extra can keep them hydrated. Also, try adding a small piece of damp sponge or a few water droplets in their enclosure for additional moisture.

Theraphosphor

Arachnosquire
Bring them back t-shirts or other souvenirs, so they don't feel left out or hurt at being left at home while you are off on vacation?

Seriously, though - they'll be fine. Just give them a little spritz of water and a cricket (or whatever feeders you're giving them) before you leave, and do the same again when you get back. A week is nothing. They won't even know you're gone.
Make sure the shirts are appropriately-sized and have the correct number of arm holes.

In all seriousness, it's pretty cool to have pets that can be left unsupervised for so long. I'd still worry about my spooders, honestly.

Mori and Egg are so cute!

londonstanton

Arachnopeon
Hey! It's been a while since your post, but I wanted to offer some insight. Your road trip sounds exciting! For your jumping spiders, feeding them well before you leave should help. They do get most of their water from their food, so giving them a bit extra can keep them hydrated. Also, try adding a small piece of damp sponge or a few water droplets in their enclosure for additional moisture.
I once had to navigate a tight travel schedule in Europe and used the Deutsche Bahn timetable (https://www.dbfahrplan.com/de/) to keep everything on track. It was super reliable and helped me enjoy my trip worry-free.