Giant water bug care

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi everyone :)

The wetland class teacher at my high school is going to give me some giant water bugs and possibly some other inverts they found :)

Ok, so my current plan is a clear plastic critter keeper or glass tank filled with water, gravel or sand as the substrate. And then something for them to climb on that goes into the water and come out of it.

My questions are:
Will they eat crickets? What about nightcrawlers or earthworms put in the water? Or do I need to buy small minnows or something?
Do they need filtration or a fish tank bubbler?
Can they be housed together?

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know what you mean by that, are you trying to ask what species they are? I haven't seen them for very long yet so I don't know the species yet.

Like I said, if they won't eat crickets or other inverts I can always buy minnows or small goldfish. I was just asking on here if anyone had any experience pretty much with these and if they will cannibalize each other.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Crickets...become waterlogged very quickly...remember they hunt under water. Not sure about earthworms. Give it a shot. They will actively hunt small fish(minnows, etc.). They are typically found in standing water so any filtration will need to mimic this. They can predate on one another so if you attempt house multiple, do give them a lot of space(and a lid...they can fly, after all). Eggs are laid above water. Not sure which variety you have but make a search for Lethocerus...

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After I see how many I get I will house them separated then.

Any way to tell males from females? Once I get them and figure out what exactly they are I will try and find some stuff myself.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I don't think it is possible with the naked eye. Oh yeah...watch your fingers...these guys do have a surprisingly painful bite/sting that lingers for the better part of a day.

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, its going to be fun to breed them then...

I will make sure not to get bit ;) it sounds pretty painful!

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I feed my Abedus sp. mismoulted insects of mine and crickets. They grab them from below the surface of the water and drag them down. Once they are eaten i take them out. I just keep them in shallow water with a couple of plants.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I've been keeping my Abedus a lot like Deroplatys does. I don't often see them eat, but I know that they're still alive and are mysteriously fatter after I feed them. When they do hunt when I'm looking, it's petty darn cool.
I'm equally in the dark as far as sexing goes. Mine are about the same size, so I'm just hoping one day there'll be eggs.

missmagpie

Arachnopeon
I have been feeding my Abedus sp. leftover crickets or small dubias. Every once in a while I'll pick up a feeder fish that's about half their size. I've never seen them actually catch the fish, but have seen them take it into their claws!
As far as being housed together, I wouldn't risk it unless you have a big enough tank! I have one in 2.5 gallons, and you may be able to do two in 10 gallons, so long as you have lots of hiding places and different things for them to climb on and such.
I don't think you need them to be in filtered water. You can always do what I do with any other fishtanks, and do a 20% water change every two or three weeks, just to keep the water clear. But mine seems to be thriving without a filter, so yours might do well too!

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Giant water bugs are easy to keep. You can keep multiples together of the same size as long as they are fed regularly(ie 3 times a week, and one prey item per bug) and there is space. I've never had a water bug refuse crickets and am positive they would take other invertebrates and fish(however, I am not a fan of feeding vertebrates to invertebrates regularly because we don't know for sure if it's healthy or not for them) Babies, however, can never stay with adults, as the parents will ALWAYS eat every last one of them.

I have no idea how to sex them either. I've worked with Abedus herberti and the males, in my experience, seemed to always be a darker brown than the females, though I cannot say for sure if that's a surefire way to sex them. I only knew they were males because the females kept pinning them down to lay eggs on their backs.

Oh yeah, filtration can only help your bugs. Just make sure it doesn't have a strong outflow though.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tadpoles are part of the giant water-bug's main diet in the Spring but they will catch minnows and inverts also. Since the bugs come up for air, the water doesn't have to be that clean but it looks better and it's better for the feeder minnows if that's what you use. Minnows are pretty savvy so it takes longer for the bugs to catch the minnows but that's natural, eventually I've seen the minnows disappear over several days when I've kept water bugs.

AngieTheBuglover

Arachnopeon
Hey so I don't know if anyone uses this anymore but I have also gotten the opportunity to take care of a giant water bug specifically a Lethocerus Americanus, and I have had her for a month, and it just laid eggs, help I am new to this sort of things and I need someone to help me, I am not planing on keeping the eggs I just want to know how to take care of my giant water bug, I want to keep her healthy, and if someone who is experienced and know what to do please respond to me ASAP thank you so much 😊 I also named my water bug jema so any advice that could help jema would be great!!!!
Thank you so so much 💗

NocturnalSkies

Arachnosquire
Abedus sp tend to hang out closer to the water surface and you can tong feed them once you learn how to approach them. They’re the easiest to feed. I keep them with bits of floating cork bark and they always attach to around the middle part right below the water line.

Lethocerus, in my experience. Like to hide more. I keep them with little balls of moss, and they usually hide under or even inside them and then ambush prey. For this reason it’s easier to feed them aquatic prey or you can try and tong feed roaches if you’re able to figure out where they are and not spook them. I had a female lethocerus that pretty much actually refused most types of land based insects besides soft bodied roaches(no Dubias for example.) or super worms, and besides that mostly only ate minnows and goldfish.