giant tailess whipscorpion

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
anyone got any of these at reasonable prices or willing to do some trades, i 've been looking at them for a while now , they just look so cool and alein like, would love to have a couple in nice aboreal tanks, thanks, by the way how long do they live?, and what is the largest one possible to buy on the market, thanks again---JEFF

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Amblypygids (Tailless Whipscorpions)

Well, I do not have any for sale but I can give info on the questions. Depedning on the species, amblypygids can live anywhere on average from 5 to over 15 years, with smaller species haveing a shorter life-span than larger species. The largest species available on the market would be those of the genus Damon, species Damon diadema, commonly known as Tanzanian giant tailless whipscorpions/amblypygids. The largest species known on the planet are found in South and Central America and some in Puerto Rico of the family Phrynidae, genus Acanthophrynus, which can sometimes have leg-spans over 10" and whip-spans of nearly 20".

Alex S.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Alex,

Are those the largest, or close to the largest, inverts on the planet? Not longest... that probably goes to some freaky ocean flatworm or something, but as far as mass, et. al.... ?

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
Alex,

Are those the largest, or close to the largest, inverts on the planet? Not longest... that probably goes to some freaky ocean flatworm or something, but as far as mass, et. al.... ?

Hey Mr. I, the giant species of amblypygid are very large but are not heavy in mass. They are actually very lightly built and just have very long legs. The body length is usually no more than 2.5". But nonetheless they are still one big, awesome, arachnid predator and have the largest "span" of any arachnid.

Alex S.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Ah...

And I guess I should've specified terrestrial inverts... forgot about king crab & Co.... :)

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
Ah...

And I guess I should've specified terrestrial inverts... forgot about king crab & Co.... :)

Yeah, there are definetely some big aquatic arthropods!!

Alex S.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Largest invert would be the giant squid...60 ft long or more, and may weigh close to a ton! They also have the biggest eyeballs of any animal.

Largest terrestrial arthropod is probably the coconut, or robber, crab. They can weigh like 7 pounds! They're really just a giant species of hermit crab that evntually outgrows any gastropod shell. I'm not sure if they really count as terrestrial, however, since their larval stage is marine.

Wade

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah, the largest arthropod on the planet would be the Japanese Island crab, being 10-12 ft. across.

Alex S.

Last edited: