Getting into breeding

vounti

Arachnoknight
Hi guys

I start to have some adults of interesting species. I might get into breeding but I find so little information.

I have heard of people acclimating the females before the pairing
I have heatd of people giving specific environment for the female after the pairing

But I don't find such info in the breeding reports here. What is the best source for information ?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
What species? Not all females are the same in terms of breeding depending on species.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
You’re gonna need to give us a list of species you would like to breed. There are so many species specific requirements to get them to be receptive to pairing.

vounti

Arachnoknight
I am thinking of:

- Aphonopelma seemanni
- Caribena versicolor
- Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
- Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati
- Cyriopagopus vonwirthi
- Linothele fallax (although not a tarantula)
- Ornithoctonus aureotibialis
- Phormingochilus sp. rufus

Of course I don't want to pair all of them but here are my possibilities and desire

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
I am thinking of:

- Aphonopelma seemanni
- Caribena versicolor
- Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
- Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati
- Cyriopagopus vonwirthi
- Linothele fallax (although not a tarantula)
- Ornithoctonus aureotibialis
- Phormingochilus sp. rufus

Of course I don't want to pair all of them but here are my possibilities and desire
I’d be careful with breeding anything with the name vonwirthi, minax, or paganus in the Cyriopagopus genus. They get imported under the same common names and sometimes even the same scientific names. And the morphological differences between the two (no type material exists for paganus. Afaik it was lost/misplaced/destroyed years ago.) are so minute that you would need to know exactly what you’re looking for and even then it’s not a guarantee.

Last edited:

vounti

Arachnoknight
I’d be careful with breeding anything with the name vonwirthi, minax, or paganus I. The Cyriopagopus genus. They get imported under the same common names and sometimes even the same scientific names. And the morphological differences between the two (no type material exists for paganus. Afaik it was lost/misplaced/destroyed years ago.) are so minute that you would need to know exactly what you’re looking for and even then it’s not a guarantee.
Good to know! Thanks for the information

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
Good to know! Thanks for the information
Hati Hati are high strung but relatively easy to breed. My 1.5” slings give me threat poses and slaps lol gorgeous spider though.

C. cyanopubesence are relatively easy to pair as well and from what I have heard seemani aren’t too hard either though require a bit more than acclimating the male. Once you’ve had success with those then I’d try my hand at versi and aureotibialis. Then Rufus and linothele last.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
To really make a positive impact on the hobby it would be best to breed species not as readily available in captivity.

curtisgiganteus

Old Timer
To really make a positive impact on the hobby it would be best to breed species not as readily available in captivity.
I don’t disagree, however the species he has aren’t necessarily regularly unavailable or rare. A lot of people don’t have the capital, time, or even motivation to invest in breeding some of the less available or rarer Ts

vounti

Arachnoknight
totally agree, this is kind of why i would like to breed them

i feel like it's selfish to keep and not breed females of uncommon species

the list I made is full of uncommon species in europe to my knowledge, i dont know all the breeders from europe :)