Fuzzy White Mold in Enclosure

Karifever

Arachnopeon
This fuzzy white mold appeared on the substrate of the enclosure and started climbing up the wood piece (including the inside of it). It started growing on biodegradables (leaf litter and sphagnum moss). I rehoused the T and plan on adding more cross ventilation to this enclosure. Do any of you with experience with this type of mold know if it could be harmful to the T? I'm assuming it just targets degrading matter but can overgrow which may make the environment less hospitable. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
In general, mold isnt harmful...just pick it out.

When it grows on wood like that, its usually an indicator the wood is holding moisture (bad)....its something that i usually see in wood people use from outside (which is fine as long as its the right wood, most isnt).

It can be a product of too much moisture in the enclosure combined with too little ventilation as well though.

Karifever

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the info! I have noticed that mold seems to eventually grow on wood brought from outside, but not on purchased cork bark or artificial decorations.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Do any of you with experience with this type of mold know if it could be harmful to the T?
Yeah, it's harmless, it sometimes pops up in newly set up enclosures and then dies off within a week as it uses up all of the available nutrients in the enclosure.

Drying things out and improving ventilation will prevent it from popping up, as will adding springtails.

I'm assuming it just targets degrading matter
Yep.

The following thread should be helpful. All You Need To Know About Mold