Found a spider

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
while I was cleaning out my outdoor shed. She's definitely a female because she had a web but I didn't see an eggsac, so *fingers crossed*; I think she's a Tegenaria duellica. I'll get pictures once she settles into her enclosure.

She's got very pretty brownish markings on her abdomen and long, glossy black legs.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She's settling in, yesterday she started building a web inside the hollow of the cork bark and this morning she was feeding on the 1" cricket I put in with her yesterday. Most active at night.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a male to put in with her. :D

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations on your find. Tegenaria sp. in general are pretty fun to keep.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The leg banding has me thinking it is probably Tegenaria domestica. Though, if the banding I'm seeing doesn't actually exist, then it could be gigantea.

I still have about 5 T. gigantea spiderlings i've been raising from the sac, they are already pretty big, with leg spans from front to back of about an inch and a half.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
shoot through magnifying glasses

i thought most USA teg species needed to be cut up and/or microscoped to definitively id?

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Admittedly, my ability to ID true spider is not the most in-depth by far, but when I first caught her, I was poking around on the web looking for species commonly found in Oregon and my specimen is a darker version of what is classified as Tegenaria duellica in the photo on this page, and her web is also congruent with what is depicted as the web for this species:

http://web.pdx.edu/~smasta/MastaSpidersHome.html

But if anyone knows for sure, please correct me. I want to give her the best possible care and, hopefully, breed her if she's not gravid already.