Found a little guy when camping. ID?

SCSImatrix

Arachnopeon
Last morning of camping (in RI), I found this little one. Looked different than any other wolf spider (at least I think it's a wolf spider) that I've ever seen. Had to come home with me.

Anyone have any online research sites that I can use to ID her? I'm totally green at this hobby.

In case ur interested. Here's the enclosure I set up.

I grabbed the leaves and sticks from where I found her, rinsed it all in scalding water then threw it in the oven for a bit. If anyone has any tips, they will be completely welcome.

Thanks!

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
some good id sites are:
bugguide.com
or
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/
Wikipedia can also be helpful aswell.

The trick to it really is just understanding the basics so you know what to search for keywords for this little fella may be 'wolf spider' 'ground spider' or use a general family name and add in your local so for instance 'lycosea of xx' etc etc, welcome to the hobby :) hope this helps.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@ jsloan
I was hoping you would chime in soon. Schizocosa works for me. I do not get into the headaches involved w/ IDing the smaller wolves. Smaller species scurrying among the leaf litter in my yard are usually referred to as "maybe a schizo or pardosa." that's about as far as i take it.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice find. I'd moisten that cage up a bit, they aren't an arid species.

SCSImatrix

Arachnopeon
:) Thanks! you guys are good. :worship: I wasn't expect "mature," that's for sure. I wasn't expect a sex determination either.

I know the wolf spiders I usually see are at least a 2in or larger legspan. I'm shocked to find out that there were so many different species in New England.

Secretly, I was hoping it was one of the bigger species, but I still like the little guy.:clap:

jsloan
Yup. I have. I wasn't quite finished at that point.

Time to go read up.

Thanks all!

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I do not get into the headaches involved w/ IDing the smaller wolves. Smaller species scurrying among the leaf litter in my yard are usually referred to as "maybe a schizo or pardosa." that's about as far as i take it.
The only headaches come if you're working on specimens in isopropyl alcohol (use ethanol instead) - just kidding, I know what you meant. :)

A stereo microscope and some identification keys are all you need, plus a little practice. Adult male Pardosa's are fairly easy to separate by the palps. The female epigynes are often covered by hairs that need to be removed for a good look at the structures. I've looked at some that appeared to be penultimate "proto-epigynes" until I removed the hairs and found a fully-developed epigyne under it all.

For SCSImatrix's spider, the midline stripe on the carapace looked a little too even and wide for Pardosa, and the "hairy" front legs are what made me think of the Schizocosa crassipes.

You can usually tell a Pardosa if you get a straight-on look at the face. It will have a narrow face, with the sides of the chelicerae pretty much straight up and down. Other wolves are more rounded. You can sort of see the narrow face in this picture of an adult male Pardosa modica I caught in my yard:

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

I agree. A wolf spider taken from a humid, leaf litter or lower grass roots envrionment will often die within hours when placed in a dry container. They need available water at all times.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know of the hairy front legs key. i have a dissecting scope but just haven't tossed any small wolves under it yet. use it for beetles and larger spiders mostly. i cheat and just wait for your IDs lol. saves me time.