First time Tarantula owner!

Inora Phoenix

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I just picked up my first Tarantula today, a little Grammostola pulchripes. Their temporary name until I can sex them is Spindle.

I've been wanting a tarantula for ages, but was always nervous about feeder insects. But last year I moved in with a roommate who already has a tarantula and breeds mealworms, and he convinced me to finally get one!

20241006_110257.jpg

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone! I just picked up my first Tarantula today, a little Grammostola pulchripes. Their temporary name until I can sex them is Spindle.

I've been wanting a tarantula for ages, but was always nervous about feeder insects. But last year I moved in with a roommate who already has a tarantula and breeds mealworms, and he convinced me to finally get one!

View attachment 484490
Awesome. Make sure to check out the beginners guide and search the forum for its care

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
That's a well started sling - nice pick up.

Here's the beginners thread mentioned above:

Inora Phoenix

Arachnopeon
That's a well started sling - nice pick up.

Here's the beginners thread mentioned above:
Thank you! My roomy has been a great help so far, but the more resources, the better!

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Sweet little gem you've got there. I'm assuming you're saying "their" instead of "its" because of the whole pronoun thing, yes? There's not multiples in there, correct?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

View attachment 484490
Smart choice

Sweet little gem you've got there. I'm assuming you're saying "their" instead of "its" because of the whole pronoun thing, yes? There's not multiples in there, correct?
Pronoun thing- 🤮🤮

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Let's not have this debate on my post, please. :)
Of course not! Like I said, I mean no disrespect...I just wanted the reality of the situation clarified, is all. It's an "it" that's now a "they" in certain circles, I get it, & won't spend time looking for the other(s):D...all the best, friend!

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
There is no singular "they" though...not for real, anyways. I'm happy to pretend along with you, out of respect, but 2+2 will never equal 5 so I'm compelled to clarify in these cases, friend.
I agree with you. English isn’t my first lanuage and I was taught he/him or she/her = 1 person they/them = more than one person like a group of people. So to use they/them for 1 person it’s very confusing 🤯

Also the grammar and sentence structuring. Use a word for more than 1 person in place of a singular makes the whole sentence/paragraph not make sense.

Inora Phoenix

Arachnopeon
I agree with you. English isn’t my first lanuage and I was taught he/him or she/her = 1 person they/them = more than one person like a group of people. So to use they/them for 1 person it’s very confusing 🤯

Also the grammar and sentence structuring. Use a word for more than 1 person in place of a singular makes the whole sentence/paragraph not make sense.
Let's please keep this thread about the Tarantula and not about grammar. :)

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
There is no singular "they" though.
Incorrect. There actually is. It also is not anything new. The only thing "new" about it is when some chose to apply it to pronouns. However, it is accurate when used in the singular form, grammatically speaking. ;)

Now that it has been clarified for everyone, there will be no more discussion about grammar or pronouns.

@Inora Phoenix Welcome to AB! :) We hope you find the information on here valuable. Please refer to @NMTs post, with the link to the beginner's guide for reference. After you have read through it, should you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Everyone on here wants the best outcome for your new tarantula, and we are all rooting for you to succeed. :)

Spifdar

Arachnopeon
I'm getting my first tarantula soon, too, and I hope it looks half as good as that one!! What a little cutie!

And I love that name. I have a whole list I'm trying to pick from but Spindle's A+ for sure

Inora Phoenix

Arachnopeon
And I love that name. I have a whole list I'm trying to pick from but Spindle's A+ for sure
My sister's boyfriend suggested it, and apparently he got it from a World of Warcraft NPC. 🤭 I haven't played WoW in a while, but I do love it when a name is subtly nerdy like that. (Like my cat is named Oppy, after the Mars rover Opportunity)

Spifdar

Arachnopeon
Oh my god the little Nerubian critter... absolutely perfect. That thing is CUTE if you haven't seen it!