First Setup For Mealworms

Slavkleos

Arachnopeon
I haven't observed any breeding, there's a heatpad that has warmed it up a little. I saw one beetle following another but they both fell while trying to crawl up one of the walls then the chaser stopped. Because the pupae container is so small I put in the pupae that look developed in with the beetles. I haven't observed any cannibalism. I've had the worms for about a month, am I doing this right?

Attachments

fcat

Arachnolord
Arachnosupporter
I've never used a heating pad on mine, always kept them at "room temp" which is anywhere from 60F winter lows to 84F summer highs in their room

But seeing as your water swirls in the opposite direction as mine 🤣 I have no idea what your winters are like, just envious because it's already 87F outside at 0830 here :(

It wasn't until I accidentally knocked over their enclosure that I realized I had hundreds of babies, they make their way down to the lowest levels. To draw them up, place a few more fresh carrots were there may be babies, and see if you hook any when checking the undersides of the carrots.

I rotated enclosures by removing beetles and setting them up in a new home. The cannibalism I was worried about was observing the male following the female around and digging right where she made her deposits. Some people (and maybe you are doing this) use a grated base in the breeding container so the smallest can fall through to a new level where there won't be beetles.

Slavkleos

Arachnopeon
It's around 17° where I am in, it gets close to 40° in summer and sometimes surpasses while being humid. I don't know where to get the stuff for a multilevel enclosure. The only tools I have access to is a box cutter and a couple screwdrivers.