First Centipedes

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
You have to be careful with these enclosures. I’ve had escapes with those kinds. There are better air tight ones that you can get at Target just make sure to add a generous amount of air holes.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You have to be careful with these enclosures. I’ve had escapes with those kinds. There are better air tight ones that you can get at Target just make sure to add a generous amount of air holes.
I'm not worried about it right now, they don't even come up to the airholes. When they get bigger I'll switch them into something more secure.

I just took this picture this morning when I checked on them, and they were out so I was able to get a picture of their size, relative to the enclosure they're in.

When they are close to reaching the airholes when they sit up straight against the edge of the enclosure I'll get them into something with an air-tight seal.

As for the aztecorum, they are also too short to reach the airholes for a 'leg up' to the lid, and they've also got another heavy enclosure set atop of them so they couldn't push it open if they could reach.

This was the smallest 'tall' option my Walmart had, nothing like this with gaskets. Perhaps I'll get something like this and then I can tie a leash onto them and take them for walks around town.

Terrena Laxamentum

Arachnoknight
I love the little Aztec Ghost, that is most likely going to be my first centipede. I didn't know they were blue as plings. :)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Where was your aztecorum collected?
I was made in U.S.A. In a recreational vehicle, as a matter of fact. ;)
You say it is a matter of fact but maybe you were made on a different day since fiction really is more fun than fact.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Be careful with the moisture! My heros enclosure has a screen top and half is kept bone dry the other is kept moist, I just only dump some water on one side and that's it. Both sides have hides and the pede has a bottle cap for water on the moist side. I do often find the pede on the dry side actually and they definitely can be killed from excessive moisture.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Centipedes are killing machines! It's nothing like feeding scorpions, crickets only last seconds once the centipede surfaces when it feels the vibrations. We have wood cockroaches as feeders here, they can give a centipede a run for their money, flat out through the centipedes tunnels and back to the surface again but eventually their luck runs out and they get caught. Centipedes rarely make 'blind' burrows, they usually have two or more entrances, and sometimes even an emergency exit/entrance that is kept blocked unless needed, so a centipedes substrate is a maze of tunnels that makes watching them catch a fast feeder nail biting entertainment!
I keep Cormocephalus sp. likely C. aurantiipes, could be C. westwoodi.

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Where was your aztecorum collected?
I'm actually not certain, I purchased both 'pedes from Triprion.

You say it is a matter of fact but maybe you were made on a different day since fiction really is more fun than fact.
According to my parents, the RV was the best place to hide from my dad's parents. But who knows!

Be careful with the moisture! My heros enclosure has a screen top and half is kept bone dry the other is kept moist, I just only dump some water on one side and that's it. Both sides have hides and the pede has a bottle cap for water on the moist side. I do often find the pede on the dry side actually and they definitely can be killed from excessive moisture.
Don't worry, I don't plan on adding any more moisture until their enclosures dry out and then I do plan on doing half dry, half wet.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I'd look into Terra Blue professional enclosures with the reptilock. The top is bonded screen, very easy to control humidity and nothing can bite through it. They are built like panzer tanks as well.

You can get the transparent clear plastic shields used in welding helmets and use them to block to control humidity it just cut up heavy duty ziplock bags.

Everything is think glass and it's heavy. They come in a zillion different sizes.

images.jpg

Last edited:

NatureJay

Arachnopeon
The Sterlite 20 quart with gasket seals are what I use. There is also a 32 quart gasket seal model too.
These are nice... i saw them on ebay... i wanna get some... they also have a clear top which is nice too....

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd look into Terra Blue professional enclosures with the reptilock. The top is bonded screen, very easy to control humidity and nothing can bite through it. They are built like panzer tanks as well.

You can get the transparent clear plastic shields used in welding helmets and use them to block to control humidity it just cut up heavy duty ziplock bags.

Everything is think glass and it's heavy. They come in a zillion different sizes.

View attachment 267700
Oh man... I've read (heard?) of giant pedes pulling enclosure panels apart to escape with their incredible strength.

I seriously doubt that mesh would stand a chance if a large pede had in its mind that it was an escape route and could reach it.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
It's a bonded reinforced screen that is supposed to be snake proof. However, the construction of the lid is able to accept a thinner piece of acrylic on each side of the screen. After that, drill holes.

My scorpion never even tried to bother it & I've seen others keeping centipedes in them before.

The ergonomics on those are wonderful and the glass is very high quality, crystal clear if you keep it clean.

Many centipedes are spectacular and it's a shame to keep them hidden away. Besides, with an opaque lid, you never know how much love there is it how close it is!! This isn't a problem here.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
One of my main issues with mesh lids (as well as KK lids) is the fact that centipedes will often end up hanging around underneath them. This can cause them to get stuck, and can also result in some nasty surprises when opening the enclosure. Just because they've been kept in these by other keepers doesn't necessarily mean it's a good way to house them.
The plastic tubs all my pedes are kept in have a degree of opacity to them, but I get to behold their splendor nonetheless.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The mesh in that lid is recessed. A piece of acrylic, maybe 1/8th of an inch would drop right into the underside. The mesh can serve as a way to use adhesive as well as going around the edges.

As long as you cut straight and measure precisely, you're good to go.

The screen is high visibility so nothing is going to hide there where being seen.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
That still doesn't change the fact that centipedes can get stuck up there. Plus, it's hard for the more humid species, as moisture loss would be great.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
If you wanna use something like mesh use perforated metal, much safer for the animal and impossible to bite through. My rubripes is in an enclosure with a locking perforated metal lid, haven't seen it hanging around on the surface at all let alone on the underside of the lid. All my other pedes are in some form of plastic container (old cricket box, empty Ferrero rocher box, etc)