First centipede

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Well, that new centipede I got is a sneaky bastard. I can't find him in the cage. I'm not exactly tearing it apart to look, but I'd like to see him. How often do these things actually come out into sight?

Another thing I'm still wondering is how often do I feed it? No one's told me that. I hope I can't overdo it, because it's gotten a lot so far ;)

-Bryan

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Some of them will bury themselves quite thoroughly. Out of the 4 babies I recently got, I've only seen 2 of them since, but the food keeps disappearing. Your best bet if you want to see them is to look in the enclosure at night with a flashlight. Like most predatory arthropods, they're nocturnal.

As to how much to feed , I would say 1 or 2 appropriately sized crickets once or twice a week.

Scott

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I almost bought one...but decided against it. I really don't want a psycho bug running around in my house, heh.

Are there any species that don't cover themselves? If I get one, I'd kinda like a larger one that doesn't hide..

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The arid dwelling species from the southern USA, such as Scolopendra heros sp. (6-8"), or Scolopendra polymorpha (5-6") usually stay on the surface or hide under logs, stones etc. more than burrowing under substrate like the tropical species.

Alex S.