Feeding questions I forgot to ask

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Hey I know you guys said not to leave food items longer than 24 hours.

For ease of collecting, is it okay to offer a 3 inch tarantula prekilled items? The only flaw I realized to my enclosure is retreiving prey items. šŸ¤£šŸ˜­

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Prekilled is fine, just not as fun for the keeper. We're all little sadists. Can't guarantee bigger T's will pay it any attention unless they get really hungry though as their feeding response isn't triggered.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Prekilled is fine, just not as fun for the keeper. We're all little sadists. Can't guarantee bigger T's will pay it any attention unless they get really hungry though as their feeding response isn't triggered.
I just would hate for it to hide somewhere i cant find it. Suppose worms could do.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If you are sure they're not anywhere near a molt, you can leave intact feeders for longer. Disabled and especially prekilled can be left for over a day but it's best to pull them before decomposition is obvious. Most spiders at three inches will ignore prekilled but mileage may vary.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
If you are sure they're not anywhere near a molt, you can leave intact feeders for longer. Disabled and especially prekilled can be left for over a day but it's best to pull them before decomposition is obvious. Most spiders at three inches will ignore prekilled but mileage may vary.
I just threw in a small dubia. They really don't do anything to bother animals and tend to steer clear...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey I know you guys said not to leave food items longer than 24 hours.

For ease of collecting, is it okay to offer a 3 inch tarantula prekilled items? The only flaw I realized to my enclosure is retreiving prey items. šŸ¤£šŸ˜­
You can- but there's absolutely no reason to do so from a prey predator standpoint.

Also, that 24 hr "rule" is not based on science. Once you learn about your T, where it's at in satiety, you can leave a PROPERLY SIZED cricket in with a T that size alive forever. I travel a lot. I routinely leave prey in with various sized Ts.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I just threw in a small dubia. They really don't do anything to bother animals and tend to steer clear...
They also burrow, are hard to kill and don't elicit great feeding responses... Even when fully intact. They seem to stick to their ribs when taken but I've found that I've moved further and further away from dubias as time's gone on. Again, mileage may vary

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
You can- but there's absolutely no reason to do so from a prey predator standpoint.

Also, that 24 hr "rule" is not based on science. Once you learn about your T, where it's at in satiety, you can leave a PROPERLY SIZED cricket in with a T that size alive forever. I travel a lot. I routinely leave prey in with various sized Ts.
Oh that sounds good. Just caught her drinking water. 20220312_132145.jpg 20220312_132224.jpg

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
They also burrow, are hard to kill and don't elicit great feeding responses... Even when fully intact. They seem to stick to their ribs when taken but I've found that I've moved further and further away from dubias as time's gone on. Again, mileage may vary
Ah forgot about the burrowing aspect.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
I've had roaches become footrests, literally with some species.Mind you mine are fed 99.9% crix. And dubias I've had elicited no feeding response by some of mine. Not saying don't use them.
Ah I am using that one for now as there's no way to go out today. Its snowing hard.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
pre killed is no issue i used to feed my 6 inch plus a genic pre killed super worms all the time just drop the worm in front or by a leg and done but that t was one of those all that moves is food bite first no questions asked kinda t my 3 inch hamorri is the same way