Feeding my Jumper

laraxo

Arachnopeon
I recently got a jumping spider and she’s doing just fine but whenever I put a mealworm in, it would burrow away before she could get it. I would dig around and get it out so it wasn’t left in there.
I decided to put a little pill bottle lid in for her (clean, of course) to use as a dish. the worm hasn’t been able to get out but my spider doesn’t seem to be able to get it.
She’s been observing/walking up to the lid all day like she’s trying to find a way to get the worm but can’t.

Any ideas what might be going on and what to do instead? thanks!
38C311A9-E7E0-4669-A8B5-C6A01D09125E.png

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
The worm could be too big or not moving enough to trigger a feeding response. It's also possible for your spider to just not be hungry. Doesn't look like it's starving. 😉
You could try a different feeder.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Many spiders only take crickets or roaches because they like to run. It could be that you are trying to overfeed without realizing it. You can sometimes tell if it’s hungry or not by it’s abdomen size. If it is super shrunken in, feed it, if not, wait a bit. Many spiders go a while without eating and people freak out thinking it’s not normal.

laraxo

Arachnopeon
Many spiders only take crickets or roaches because they like to run. It could be that you are trying to overfeed without realizing it. You can sometimes tell if it’s hungry or not by it’s abdomen size. If it is super shrunken in, feed it, if not, wait a bit. Many spiders go a while without eating and people freak out thinking it’s not normal.
I’ve had her such a short amount of time, I have no idea how much she’s eaten in the last week or so. I guess I won’t worry about it and try again in a couple days.
she’s moving around and interacting just fine otherwise
thank you :)

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Wait at least 3 days if not a bit more. The abdomen is super big. Spiders can also get stressed and not eat for long time. When spiders are constantly annoyed like if you are repeatedly trying to feed it, they get stressed and refuse food.

laraxo

Arachnopeon
UPDATE!!!!
I found an egg sac this morning which explains everything but is still super unexpected. I’ve been reading up on how to care for the spiderlings all day.
Now the only issue (for now) is getting her to eat. She hasn’t left her nest and is very skinny so I’m a bit worried she’ll starve herself looking after the nest.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Invest in a fruit fly and mealworm colony. The mealworm larva are the perfect size for most babies.