Feeding a Tarantula snails?

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is this okay??
Not okay??
Sometimes okay??
Depends on breed??

I know all about avoiding feeding insects/animals that may have bee exposed to pesticides and quarantining any if applicable, BTW...

Need input.. thanks... :confused:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've never heard of a tarantula eating a snail. I don't think they're physically designed for it; their fangs will at best be unable to penetrate the shell and at worst get broken. They have no way of getting a snail in defensive mode out of the shell either, unlike, say, dwarf pufferfish which can just suck the body out of the shell.

In short, I'm guessing you shouldn't do it.

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Snails are usually full of parasites as well. I know most spiders don't like slimy things. Why do you want to feed snails anyway?

Remember, all wild caught food is dangerous!

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Remember, all wild caught food is dangerous![/QUOTE]

DONT TRY IT, YOU CAN THINK IT BUT DONT DO IT!!!!!!!:)

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Doesn't seem like it would be poisonous, but whether your T will eat it is a different matter. My money is on no. In fact, I have a hard time imagining otherwise.

If you feel comfortable with the safety of your source of snails, throw it in. If it gets eaten it will be noteworthy and we will all be interested to know it's possible.

petshopguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As a Biology major in college, one thing I learned about snails in all of my invertebrate classes is that they are one of the major vectors of disease throughout the world. The question is - how important is it to you to feed snails to your T's?

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is this okay??
Not okay??
Sometimes okay??
Depends on breed??

I know all about avoiding feeding insects/animals that may have bee exposed to pesticides and quarantining any if applicable, BTW...

Need input.. thanks... :confused:
It should be clear to you know...right.
If there is even a chance your "T" could be harmed ,would you still do it, do you love your "T",

anaconda19

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
snails have never and will never be on the menu for most peoples Ts, if you had to feed random things from the garden like a friend of mine seems obsessed with doing, then make sure you keep it and feed it or a minimum of 48 hours in quarantine, this way hopefully any nasties in its stomach is excreeted and replaced with what you feed it(which will be as nutritious as poss) and if it had any unnoticable diseases or heavy paracite infestations it should die wihin the 48 hours if its going to. BUT there are MANY paracites which dont kill quickly and will infest your T, and being unused to these will kill the T quicker and is just not worth it...

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
aside from parasites (which are highly unlikely to be able to infect any exotic species of tarantula), tarantulas probably won't even respond to a snail. They move too slowly to create the vibrations that excite tarantulas to strike and feed.

Sabatta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a pretty big forest snail in the tank for my T Blondi. I figured it would be a nice addition to my tank since I have a bit of a communal thing going on in it (staetoda borealis, isopods, agelenidae sp.). I seen once where the two met and the Blondi left the snail alone. But a few days later I noticed the snail laying on it's 'back' a little ways off from my T, and my T cleaning a mass of snail foam off her fangs. It didn't take long to figure out my T got a little too curious about what the snail tastes like. It took her a frustrating little while but she managed to clean all the foam off. So, I don't think intentionally feeding snails to Ts works. It's nothing more than a learning lesson for the T that snails aren't to be messed with. And the snail seems ok, maybe a little traumatized though.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gotta be an idiot to catch food around your yard and feed it to your tarantulas. Pesticides and insecticides are all around. Its a very very dangerous reality.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Gotta be an idiot to catch food around your yard and feed it to your tarantulas. Pesticides and insecticides are all around. Its a very very dangerous reality.
depends on where you live really.

interesting story btw sabatta. bet the blondi didn't do that again.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ty!

Thank you all for the input.

I was not excited or hopeful for a yes answer to this thread...
I simply asked because I have a co-worker who's breeding snails
and she offered me some, suggesting it may be a nice variation
in my T's diet.

I asked because of this, to get any insight on the subject,
since I had never heard of a tarantula eating snails either. :embarrassed:
Will definitely NOT do it, and appreciate all the input.

Yuck! @ snails & their parasites...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh really? Well I guess I am an idiot then coz I've been doing it for a loooooooooong time and have never lost a T yet.:rolleyes:

It really depends on where you live. Where I live, I can drink water from the creeks. Where YOU live it may be different for all I know

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Thank you all for the input.

I was not excited or hopeful for a yes answer to this thread...
I simply asked because I have a co-worker who's breeding snails
and she offered me some, suggesting it may be a nice variation
in my T's diet.

I asked because of this, to get any insight on the subject,
since I had never heard of a tarantula eating snails either. :embarrassed:
Will definitely NOT do it, and appreciate all the input.

Yuck! @ snails & their parasites...
(( My co-worker has NO knowledge of Ts.. only knows that they eat live food.. )) :?

Last edited:

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats true. However even if you life in the middle of no where. Things that are around your garage can get on a crickets exoskeleton and might not kill the cricket but will remain on it. (gasoline, antifreeze...ect) I've found crickets in my dishwasher before. If there is something that they are not supposed to get in they will get in lol

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hell, I keep crickets in the garage for that matter. (cant stand to listen to the chirping). Anyway I have never lost a T in the last 8 or so years I have been messing with them. I have scorps even longer and never lost any due to WC food. Like it was said earlier, "it depends on where you live"