favourite big dogs?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great Pyrenees here. Grew up around them, love them. Miss my big fluffy cuddle pup.

Owning one is great,,, one also gets to experience such things as::
Snowdrift shedding.
Hair wads.
Crackle glaze drool.
Shoestring drool.
Projectile drool.
Projectile fur/drool splatters.
Whiplash..... For those times your usualy well trained 'wonderfuly calm on walks' dog decides it's time to go warp speed....
New ways to clear your coffee table and anything else "tail wag" height.
That there is Always room while washing your hair for your huge beastie pup to Leap in the tub with you.
That you can empty a bucket two times when mopping up the water after the streaming dog hops back Out of the tub and goes carreening off through the house..
That is takes no less then two showers to remove all the loose fur clinging to your wet body after the before mentioned bathtub hop.
Putting on black pants it's a clear invitation to a "lean and rub"
And no matter what hour you wake up and stumble to the kitchen said huge beast will pick the exact moment you step over him to stand up.

And yes Holly.
Grooming is A JOB.

But, heh,,, they are So worth every second.
Though I love our little pug. It's Odd not having a BIG dog around the house.
Miss my big pup,,, wish I could afford another.

Oh, bath time adventures with my sweety.
------------------------

"This seems like a Great place to shake off!"

Attachments

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"That was a great three hour brush mom! Um,,,,, Where did this Other dog come from?"

Attachments

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Love most dogs. Favorites are Dobermans, Rotts and Belgian Malinois.

My Belgian is the best boy ever!:D

Last edited:

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey nixy

cool dog ! thats one big pile of hair you got there,are you sure its not a couple of lambs=D

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Nixy! Ive never seen so much fur in my life!:eek: Although, if I had a dime for every cat hair my cats have shed, Id be millionare...

I dont own a dog...nor will I for a very long time. But my favorite large breeds, based on looks (since I know nothing of their personalities) are...

Afghan hound
Golden retreiver/Yellow lab (I have to have a yellow lab someday)
Siberian Huskie (and those dogs that look like them) (blue eyes prefered)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi,
In no particular order;
* Rottweiler
* Boxers
* Weimeraners
* Pit Bull (intelligently bred ones, please, not the insane, inbred, gunpowder fed ones)
* Labradors
* Rhodesian Ridgebacks
* Belgian Malinois

Peace, light & eternal love..
Gillian
)0(

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
My all time favourite dog is Bouvier des Flandres ... aka Bouvier ... AFAIK they are not so common in US (if there are any at all).
Haven't had much experience with this breed, but I have a friend who has one and uses it as a horse/cattle dog. She absolutely loves him and has said she would continue to get this breed of dog in the future.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm not particularly fond of Bouvier des Flandres. I used to work at a pet boarding kennel, and these two Bouviers were there often as their owners traveled frequently. Every single time I came within 20 feet of their kennels, they came charging and jumped up on the front of their kennels barking their heads off. They were complete sweethearts with everyone else but me. I was told that they just had to warm up to you before they can be friendly with you, and I wasn't there for very long. It just freaked me out they seemed to come out of nowhere acting like they want to take your head off. I realize it might just be those two dogs, and I know this breed is known to be protective. However, my experience with this breed isn't particularly comforting.

Bry

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I love the bully dogs, though I wouldn't call a pittbull, staffoshire etc. a "large" dog. A bull mastiff, on the other hand ... :)

My grandparents had a Newfoundlander when I was young. Great big dog .... bigger if you are 6 years old.

Cheers,
Dave

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13458&highlight=LOOSEYFUR

I agree with SHD in some regard bully breeds arent the largest things... this happens to be an 80 lb pitty in the pic with me.
Hes got to be the best dog I have ever owned.
Just do yourself a favor... if hes in the car alone and you feel like petting him DONT... for some reason thats HIS car. its the only bad behavior I cant seem to snap him out of ( yeah he was kinda a mess when we resuced him) He wont stand for ppl walking up to the car unless its me or the wife.

his drool is superglue.
but for the most part hes supercool

Uzi :)
wouldnt trade him for a pile of cash. Trust me many ppl around the boston area love their pits ( mostly for dubios reasons) I have been offered upwards of 500 cash for him just from ppl on the street.
of course I told them to (saving Mr.Internet the trouble and removing it myself) off.

real cookies you cant resist-
loooooooosey-fur!

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I'm thinking when I get a dog again in the future, I'll get a BullMastiff. They were always very fun dogs, and though you can see there's mastiff in their breeding they have a much better attitude and not even close on the drool factor. Oh well, I'll not be having a dog in my current housing situation, unless i would be that robotic pup...

zoobugs

L.D.50
Old Timer
My wife and I are on our 2nd pair of dogs. We seemed to gravitate to German Shepherds(European bloodlines only), and Standard poodles for the 2nd time. Except for border collies, I can't think of 2 more intelligent breeds. Both of our dogs were housebroke before they were 12 weeks of age and they seem to pick up your commands usually after the 1st or 2nd time. They really aren't dogs you know, just people in furry suits.

avmaviator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Nice Pyerenese. Here is my big dog. He is a 4 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. He weighs 150 lbs (all muscles too ;) heh). He can actually be seen in this year Bernese Calendar! he is mr. November. These dogs are soooo sweet! Awesome with kids. This guy is the male and we also have a female, who is a little smaller.

Arno