Eucteniza rex (largest trapdoor in USA) PICTURE!!!!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
who loves you?

caco does!

A PICTURE OF THE KING!!! Phylogeny and taxonomy of the genera of south-western North American Euctenizinae trapdoor spiders and their relatives (Araneae: Mygalomorphae, Cyrtaucheniidae)
Jason E. Bond 1 and Brent D. Opell 2
http://www.biol.vt.edu/faculty/opell/publicaton_pdfs/2002 v136(3) p487.pdf
look on page 25 of the pdf for the image

that link is a little goofy and won't register right. you might have to copy & paste to get it... but i mean, it's the only pic of E. rex i can remember seeing :D

if you are interested in the species you can always check out the SCABIES thread that is studying it:
http://scabies.myfreeforum.org/about3836.html

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool! I came across that same pic a while back but it was in a diff file and the only pic on the page, don't know where it is now but I think it's a bigger pic with higher res ...same pic though, no doubt about it, just forgot where I saw it. My brain can't imagine the claimed size of some of the adults:drool: , and you-know-who won't post a pic of his pickled one.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
how big do these supposed get? sounds like they would be very difficult to find.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i believe WELL over 3"DLS maybe like 4"DLS

if i ever find the species description i will post more details

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was told they can easily get 4" legspans. infact, the pickled specimen is supposed to be about 4. that is WILD! big friggin trapdoor spider!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know it's old but, wouldn't this be the largest/heaviest TD on Earth? What is the official largest to date?

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
definately something to look for around the davis mountains in a couple weeks