• E. manicata (E. parvulus)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E. condorito

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Kron

Arachnosquire
Background
So I've been trying to identify my Euathlus sp., sold as 'Euathlus parvulus' but I believe lacking the vibrant colouration. Turns out that we in the hobby have been misidentifying Chilean Euathlus species for years. P. scrofa are actually E. parvulus and E. parvulus are E. manicata; so that's a thing. I highly recommend everyone checks out some of the websites by the hobbyists in Chile for more info:
https://sites.google.com/site/chiletarantulas/paraphysa-parvula-pocock-1903-1

Question
Some have suggested that she is 'P. scrofa' which again is actually E. parvulus, I emailed the Chileans and they said she was E. manicata (but I think that may hae been because I started by saying I bought her as E. parvulus), and I actually believe she might be E. condorito! E. manicata have a greenness that is totally absent from my specimen and she also lacks the pinkiness and redness of E. parvulus but keepers have suggested she simply needs a molt. What do you think??

Short Story
Whilst trying to identify her she kept walking out the enclosure so I decided to let her wander a bit on my desk. she basked under the lamp for a bit, which I thought was curious as there is a video of wild P. vulpinus sun bathing. Then she bolted like crazy! She's tiny and usually as docile as a slug but she ran like a Chilobrachy I swear! I clenched so hard I've hurt my back :') my hypothesis is that the warmth of the lamp gave her an energy boost.

Attachments

StampFan

Arachnodemon
My E parvulus is a devil. Had it for a few years, and its maybe 2 1/2 to 3 inches now. Dropped in a feeder and filled water the other day, and it ripped around that enclosure like nothing I've ever seen. True spaz.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have been going through this exercise for over a year with mine - in several conversations with Nico in Chile. I bought Euathlus parvulus and they are Euathlus manicata. I also have Euathlus condorito, who might be too small to properly identify, but I'm hoping that species is correct. I've never had Paraphysa scrofa.
Adult Female Euathlus parvulus/manicata
DSC09941-2.jpg

Mature Male Euathlus parvulus/manicata
DSC09512-2.jpg

Juvenile Euathlus condorito
DSC03140-2.jpg