Enrichment day

squirl61

Arachnopeon
Today I introduced ping-pong balls to the G. Pulchripes enclosures. This one seems to enjoy climbing on the ball and turning it around in its feet. The T has moved the ball clear across the enclosure and back just messing with it.
The video didn't upload correctly so here's a grab.

Attachments

Last edited:

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Hmmmmm... where did this egg sac come from ?
Instinctual behavior ?

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Yea this has been done before I don’t have any ping-pong balls to try it. I can see if I have anything similar. I’ve given them peanut butter jar lids they sit in. He’s near it here .

squirl61

Arachnopeon
Hmmmmm... where did this egg sac come from ?
Instinctual behavior ?
Nqa but my guess is it might be instinctual. Imo attempted predation of an egg sack at this age (the T is a juvenile) seems likely but I don't have any experience to back that opinion up. I think its hilarious though to watch the trundling back and forth and the T is def getting a workout.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Stan came up with this idea or at least popularized it. No one knows why of course, but it’s funny.

I had a AF NW T take her heavy dish, lift it, and move it onto the container’s wall over her, then use 2 legs to move it down the length of the container it was wild to watch

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
Stan came up with this idea or at least popularized it. No one knows why of course, but it’s funny.

I had a AF NW T take her heavy dish, lift it, and move it onto the container’s wall over her, then use 2 legs to move it down the length of the container it was wild to watch

Similar to atleast two of mine. Whatever why they do it: its interesting to watch.

If their “brain” pathways have patterns this could be a reason.

But i aint opening that box. Definitely dont need any debate on emotions here.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Yea this has been done before I don’t have any ping-pong balls to try it. I can see if I have anything similar. I’ve given them peanut butter jar lids they sit in. He’s near it here .
You don't need ping pong balls to see the same behavior. Mine do the same thing with the empty dry 1 fl. oz. condiment cups I use for water cups. Using ping pong balls might just look cuter because the tarantulas obviously have a hard time gripping and moving a smooth round object.

Nqa but my guess is it might be instinctual. Imo attempted predation of an egg sack at this age (the T is a juvenile) seems likely but I don't have any experience to back that opinion up. I think its hilarious though to watch the trundling back and forth and the T is def getting a workout.
People over analyze this all the time. It is the instinct to investigate and get rid of foreign objects in their territory. It becomes apparent when you see them start moving other types of objects around their cage. There is nothing special about ping pong balls.

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if Ts had some capacity for learning, given that there’s a study on amblypygids being able to learn mazes. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19198849/
There has been at least one scholarly article I recall where learning behavior was shown to exist in male tarantulas using a maze. If you can't find it, let me know and I will take the time to look it up. Long story short, yes, tarantulas have the capability to learn and remember.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
You don't need ping pong balls to see the same behavior. Mine do the same thing with the empty dry 1 fl. oz. condiment cups I use for water cups. Using ping pong balls might just look cuter because the tarantulas obviously have a hard time gripping and moving a smooth round object.

People over analyze this all the time. It is the instinct to investigate and get rid of foreign objects in their territory. It becomes apparent when you see them start moving other types of objects around their cage. There is nothing special about ping pong balls.

There has been at least one scholarly article I recall where learning behavior was shown to exist in male tarantulas using a maze. If you can't find it, let me know and I will take the time to look it up. Long story short, yes, tarantulas have the capability to learn and remember.
We’re so you buy small water dishes 1 fl. oz. condiment cups I only have a few but I need some smaller soon for a near 1” t. I save bottle lids just there mostly Gatorade . Yeah they do mess with water dishes a lot .

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
We’re so you buy small water dishes 1 fl. oz. condiment cups I only have a few but I need some smaller soon for a near 1” t. I save bottle lids just there mostly Gatorade . Yeah they do mess with water dishes a lot .
For me personally, I have a restaurant supply store in my neighborhood I get all of my condiment cups from, but I think you can buy them on Amazon. I have included a picture of the 0.75 and 1 fl. oz. condiment cups I use to house tiny spiderlings and water cups for smaller juvenile tarantulas. The cups I use as water dishes for adults and bigger housing for spiderlings are Solo 1.5 fl. oz.

EDIT
I forgot to mention that these condiment cups are not suitable as water dishes for spiderlings smaller than about 2 inches. I don't use water dishes for any tarantula until they get to about 2 inches long.

IMG_2966.JPG

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
For me personally, I have a restaurant supply store in my neighborhood I get all of my condiment cups from, but I think you can buy them on Amazon. I have included a picture of the 0.75 and 1 fl. oz. condiment cups I use to house tiny spiderlings and water cups for smaller juvenile tarantulas. The cups I use as water dishes for adults and bigger housing for spiderlings are Solo 1.5 fl. oz.

EDIT
I forgot to mention that these condiment cups are not suitable as water dishes for spiderlings smaller than about 2 inches. I don't use water dishes for any tarantula until they get to about 2 inches long.

View attachment 481778
Yeah I think I give them dishes at 1.5-2” size . I’ll check gfs Gordon food service. maybe 🤔?? I also need deli cups.

A guy

Arachnobaron
Saw this behavior with a MM Theraphosa blondi that I was given as a loan.

The effing thing just rolled and rolled its waterdish literally until it died.
Never paired successfully with my extremely receptive female. Just rolled his waterdish, ate and then died.