enclosure help!!

hailey1130

Arachnopeon
hi! i got my new pink toe matilda a new enclosure with cross ventilation - but im wondering if it's too small? she's about 2.5 inches
this is her current enclosure size compared to the new one! please help :)
IMG_0369.jpeg IMG_0367.jpeg

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
The only changes I would make would be adding more clutter up top so your Avic has more hiding places. And maybe glue a bottle cap to the side of the enclosure so she can drink without venturing to the ground. Otherwise looks pretty good, I think, I don't own any but I have no shortage of arboreal tarantulas.

hailey1130

Arachnopeon
The only changes I would make would be adding more clutter up top so your Avic has more hiding places. And maybe glue a bottle cap to the side of the enclosure so she can drink without venturing to the ground. Otherwise looks pretty good, I think, I don't own any but I have no shortage of arboreal tarantulas.
thank you so much!! ill def get on that

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hi! i got my new pink toe matilda a new enclosure with cross ventilation - but im wondering if it's too small? she's about 2.5 inches
this is her current enclosure size compared to the new one! please help :)
View attachment 484482 View attachment 484483
The acrylic is too large for my taste. 11” tall it will likely starve to death. Smaller geometric designs increase prey predator interactions. Crix rarely reliably crawl up and to the top. Of the many dozens of Avics I’ve raised they rarely put enough web from top to bottom of “larger” setups that allow them to detect movement. Don’t count on them to come down for anything, esp water

Remember they are ambush predators waiting for food typically, rarely hunting.

cold blood

Staff member
its smaller than the current enclosure though, right?

from my point of view it looks like it will be fine......ts often do better in slightly smaller enclosures than they do in over-sized ones.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Welcome to A.B., Pinktoe / Avicularia & Hailey
I would add some more upright structure for web anchor points / hides.
Thanks for sharing, and best wishes.

Last edited:

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Looks good, in my opinion. I agree with whoever suggested adding a little more top "clutter," as that's where she'll probably make her main web lair.
Also, there are acrylic lids available which eliminate the disk of her getting her pedipalps stuck in the mesh; I use them when I'm home, but I replace themm with the screen mesh when I'm away for extended periods, just because I find that most competent people willing to tend to them in my absence have a tendency of over watering. That said, I've had them for years with the regular mesh before getting acrylic lids, & never had an issue, so I don't know how COMMON a problem it is, but it does happen.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks good, in my opinion. I agree with whoever suggested adding a little more top "clutter," as that's where she'll probably make her main web lair.
Also, there are acrylic lids available which eliminate the disk of her getting her pedipalps stuck in the mesh; I use them when I'm home, but I replace themm with the screen mesh when I'm away for extended periods, just because I find that most competent people willing to tend to them in my absence have a tendency of over watering. That said, I've had them for years with the regular mesh before getting acrylic lids, & never had an issue, so I don't know how COMMON a problem it is, but it does happen.
Screen- well it only needs to happen once to a T for death or injury to occur.

Screen is bad bad bad

It’s like a seatbelt, I haven’t needed one for decades but…. Why risk not wearing one

Last edited: