Emp. behaviour change

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have just changed my tank out, increased the depth (as my Emps were birrowing and hiting the bottom of the tank), changed the Sub to potting compost, and bug mulch. I Have also provided a significant number of started burrows. The average temp has increased slightly to 30 deg C, with a top reading of 32 Deg C. Since changeing them out, they have been extreemly active, i have noticed the female out during the day moveing soil out of her hidout, they have dug out 2 large burrows, and are constantly looking, waiting in ambush for food. I have 2 questions: 1. Has anyone alse experiance such a change in behaviour.:? 2. How safe is it to keep feeding Emps. My ones are both adult, male and female. My enviroment is a stedy 30 deg cen., with a small drop of 2-3 deg at night, humidity between 75 - 90%. The female looks gravid:clap: , definatly swollen, and larger than the male and they both eat the same. I do not want to turn my Scorps into fattys!!!{D

1/2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I noticed the same with my emps. they became more active and ate more.
When kept in the right temperature they eat more, becaus they become more active. This is normal.

If your female gets scorplings she might become aggressive towards the male, he will just think of these small creatures as food. So it could be smart to separate them then. And once the scorplings leave their mother they might be considered food by the mother so it might be good to separate the mother from them.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Norm-

A good rule of thumb to follow is: if your female starts to gain noticeable weight and girth, and she's not over-eating, remove the male from the enclosure.
As for retaining the scorplings with mom after dispersal, to be honest, I've not had more than a few losses in such circumstances and have kept offspring with mom until they were adults. However, this is not to imply that there will not be an occasional loss of a scorpling or two to mom if she's hungry.
However, for the most part, emps are good mothers and in many situations, the offspring will continue to share mom's retreat until reaching sexual maturity - sharing prey and even huddling up in her chamber. Good luck!

Luc

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Barkscorpions
Thanks, i have just seperated the male, i have not seen a lot of my female, figers crossed i will hear the patter of tiney claws

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Norm-

A beautiful sight to behold - a large mother emp covered in ghostly-white kids - awesome!

Luc