E. campestratus and G. aureostriatum

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is it just me, or do these species look seriously similar?

Im still a tenderfoot in this hobby, so it might be a stupid question.

E. camp. definitely has a pink tinge, but have you ever confused these two species when the lighting was bad? I sure did.

Well just thought I might post that. Let me know what you think.

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In pictures yes. Up close and personal no. But I guess its like anything else, once your around it enough it kinda imprints it in your memory.

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
actually, i was at the tampa FIRE convention today, and having a problem with the same thing.

kristin

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Not to me... I don't think they look too much alike at all. But then I have 1+ of them both and see them on a regular basis. But I think the Chaco is big and brown, with stand out yellow knee striping, while they other has a muted grayish brown rump, kinda charcol carapace, with thinner yellowish knee stripes, and generally smaller

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unless the pic is horrible then no they look nothing alike. As adults they look even less alike especially when size is considered.

Phil

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have to agree with Phil and Mendi on this one. I don't think these two species look very similar. I think that we tend to see the similarities in two things that may be unfamiliar to us before we can start to discern the differences. For instance, people that are totally new to the subject often feel that every tarantula looks alike to them. There are also people who feel that people of the same race or ethnic group "all look alike." I have found that these people often don't personally know a large number of people that are of that particular ethnicity. I think that as you see more of these two T's you probably will start to see some distinct differences.

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i myself find A.seemani and G.aureostria to look more alike than these two.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think they look the same but both are nice T's.

Tony what do you think?:rolleyes:

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, I didn't they looked similar at all until I saw my little 1.5" G aureostriata after a molt. It turned very black with pinkish hairs all over the abdomen. The yellow was barely visible on the legs so I would have to say it did resemble an E campestratus.