dubia in P. pulcher enclosure - webbed up but still alive

darlingi

Arachnosquire
I can’t believe what I just saw. I last fed my pulcher 4 days ago and as usual, she grabbed the roach and dragged her down into her webbing. Just now I noticed the roach hung up at the bottom of the webbing. The scary thing is, that dubia is still alive, or at least twitching.:shy:
Does anybody have an idea on how this is even possible??? It seems like her legs just move when I touch the table the enclosure is placed on.
Also, it’d be really, really tough to get that roach out of there. The opening of the enclosure is far from that corner where the roach is and I can’t really get behind that cork bark without using my hands. Should I just wait and see if she decides to eat the roach?

Attachments

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I noticed the roach hung up at the bottom of the webbing. The scary thing is, that dubia is still alive, or at least twitching.
It’s just like the scene from the Aliens (1986).

darlingi

Arachnosquire
Mission completed - I got the roach out.
I should probably consider myself very lucky to have such a chill, currently lethargic pulcher.
That roach was very alive btw. I wonder how she survived the venom?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I should probably consider myself very lucky to have such a chill, currently lethargic pulcher.
Was it even punctured?
May have just been grabbed.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No proof the prey was envenomated even with holes.

Most of the damage to prey is from physical forces from T, not venom.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Most probably a dry bite, venom is rarely wasted on prey items that can be easily killed by stabbing/crushing.
This is interesting, but I never heard this. I don't doubt it, but can you link to any articles about it? I'd like to learn more

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This is interesting, but I never heard this. I don't doubt it, but can you link to any articles about it? I'd like to learn more
There's references to dry bites in the articles below (as well as in several bite reports) so we know they can control whether or not they inject venom but if you've watched anything on the bigger side (A. genic/Theraphosa) feed on smaller prey items then they often tend to just skewer their prey (the fangs just go straight in one end and out the other) and then immediately proceed to crush it between their cheliceral teeth.