Drilling holes in glass

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Alright guys, some of you caught my post from yesterday where I talked about getting a T strimi from Craigslist, after getting home and cutting an acrylic lid for her and doing a little better research than I had done beforehand. So I have this tank that came with her seems to long too short and too narrow, for her at least. And I could probably get a use out of it with another t maybe my vagan whose growing at insane rate. But I think nearly everything I keep I think would benefit with more cross ventilation than just the top. Anyone have luck drilling into glass? I'm sure I'll need a special bit and lube or something. All I would do is try to add a few rows for cross ventilation. My other idea was to make it an arboreal enclosure where it would be on the side upright and the new lid would be on the front and not the top, if that makes sense. PS I'm not at home ATM but if I remember correctly the dimensions are 15-20" x 13" x 5-7" but I measured two boxes last night so I might have crossed numbers in my mind xD I'll correct it when I'm home

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, very complicated. Better you buy a piece of perforated steelsheet for ventilation and a fitting piece of glass for lid. You glue the sheet in place and use the glass as lid. I can show you one of my home builds

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
You couldn’t make that a terrestrial enclosure, as evidenced by the T.Stirmi you have it in right now. It is nowhere near deep enough...

Replace the mesh lid with a well ventilated (lots of holes) acrylic lid and it could be used as an enclosure for an adult arboreal (probably a pokie).

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Or just get a big sterilite bin and fill it with a couple inches of moist substrate

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Alright guys, some of you caught my post from yesterday where I talked about getting a T strimi from Craigslist, after getting home and cutting an acrylic lid for her and doing a little better research than I had done beforehand. So I have this tank that came with her seems to long too short and too narrow, for her at least. And I could probably get a use out of it with another t maybe my vagan whose growing at insane rate. But I think nearly everything I keep I think would benefit with more cross ventilation than just the top. Anyone have luck drilling into glass? I'm sure I'll need a special bit and lube or something. All I would do is try to add a few rows for cross ventilation. My other idea was to make it an arboreal enclosure where it would be on the side upright and the new lid would be on the front and not the top, if that makes sense. PS I'm not at home ATM but if I remember correctly the dimensions are 15-20" x 13" x 5-7" but I measured two boxes last night so I might have crossed numbers in my mind xD I'll correct it when I'm home
Have you since rehoused the theraposa? That enclosure is nowhere near suitable for it...

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Have you since rehoused the theraposa? That enclosure is nowhere near suitable for it...
I haven't yet. I have been trying to find something suitable that doesn't also impair my visibility. I have a few options one being a bit more tedious and complicated but looking nicer ( buying acrylic sheets precut to the measurements and attempting to glue it correctly) never have I done this before but I rebuild motorcycles in my free time - how hard could it possibly be? And more than likely the best choice is to pickup another storage bin like I keep my red runners in. I have another one made up but I think is too small.

Attachments

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
What should the dimensions of the enclosure be? I've found a few different things and that will work in the meantime til I get something nice

newscorpionowner

Arachnopeon
Standing in store looking at them, I've searched for measurements can't find them. I'll try my luck on Facebook lol

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
A large storage box is ideal, if you want greater visibility look around for large acrylic enclosures. Just punch holes in the side and keep at room temp or above..,

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I've never done it myself, but I've watched a few tutorials. It can be pretty time consuming and you have to buy a special drill bit so that the glass doesn't shatter in the process. It's probably easier just to start with a new enclosure that's easier to modify.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
No, very complicated. Better you buy a piece of perforated steelsheet for ventilation and a fitting piece of glass for lid. You glue the sheet in place and use the glass as lid. I can show you one of my home builds
Would it be possible for you to post some photos of these home modifications? I'm interested in learning how to do some DIY enclosure projects. It would be much appreciated!

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
Purely on the subject of drilling holes in glass, I use a diamond hole saw. Milwaukee makes various sized ones. You just put it in a drill and go easy. Helps a lot to have a buddy spray some water on it while you drill. Light pressure. If you push too hard when the bit goes through you'll break the glass. Plenty of videos on YouTube

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Actually, drilling holes into a glass tank is highly dependent on what type of glass is used. Yes, there is different types of glass, but some tanks are made from or with tempered glass, which will completely shatter apart with one crack. So avoid tempered glass at all cause. Aquarium tanks can or can't be drillable depending on the brand that made them. Most aquarium tank brands use tempered glass as the base (bottom) of the tank, which the rest are made from a mix of glass and something else, which is most likely acrylic plastic of some-sort so the sides are most likely drillable depending on the brand. The reason most companies avoid using tempered glass completely is because it can be expensive (resource wise), so they use substitute mixtures with glass for the rest of the manufacturing since the base of the tank needs to be strongest part to withstand water pressure. Tempered glass has unique purposes, but isn't made to be customized for most cases.

Terrariums and tanks for reptiles, herps, etc. are something that I don't know much about.... So I don't know the glass for those and what brands use what type of glass for what for terrariums.

So wish you the best and hope this bit of information helps.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Diamond drill bits on a drill can work.
You'd need to keep the glass cool, usually with a constant flow of water as others mentioned. I usually drill through glass jar-lids. Tape on both sides can help keep the hole from fracturing, but It's hard to get a clean looking hole. It gets harder when the holes are near each other.
Maybe a diamond-tip hole-saw bit and a round louver would be easier.
I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you had to. Recently, I drilled 5 holes in a 1/4" glass pane and the last hole broke it right in half :sad: .

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
You don't 'drill' holes in glass, you grind holes, usually with a diamond abrasive bit. Ordinary drills are wedges which cut by using pressure like a chisel. Heat will cause the glass to crack so flooding with coolant - water is very helpful and the drill should not rock or tilt.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Would it be possible for you to post some photos of these home modifications? I'm interested in learning how to do some DIY enclosure projects. It would be much appreciated!
I have builded many of those enclosures. I just use wider or narrower steelsheet depending on how much venilation i want. One can also build those terrarias with perforated sheet in the front too, but in this case you see a top vented enclosure 20200411_174142.jpg