Dolomedes Tenebrosus Mating - Video

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey all I hope you enjoy this video!! I filmed it june 02...but I already exported so I put june o3 lol.
As the title says this is Dolomedes Tenebrosus!!!
The male is so small lol...
The female is fat because I fed her everyday for 2 weeks to get ready for the male, might have not been needed he seemed persuasive. I am wondering if you guys would like to see his failed attempts of being skittish ? lol
Also, this didn't actually take 3.17 minutes. In real-time it took 9 minutes, but I editing it together to see shorter, and give you the idea of what is going on, so please enjoy!!
Edited with Imovie, camera, Cannon PowerShot G10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtWvbi2kTI

I also I forgot to include these earlier. Ahh so sad

Last edited:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well done good editing It does show a great comparison between the males and females.

Edd Eskimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow... That Female is HUGE compared to the male... Nice Vid. and music :clap:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha yeah the male is so puny its cute hehehe.
Thanks for the comment on the editing, I am still practicing! Don't have a film diploma for nothing, now all I need is a good video camera... lol
thanks edd too!! :D

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha yeah the male is so puny its cute hehehe.
Thanks for the comment on the editing, I am still practicing! Don't have a film diploma for nothing, now all I need is a good video camera... lol
thanks edd too!! :D
That little guy has some big pedipalps on him to get with a girl that size! X-D

I'm still messing around with Windows Movie Maker and getting the hang of it. Sure after a few little projects here and there you'll be really good with your editing, too.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That little guy has some big pedipalps on him to get with a girl that size! X-D

I'm still messing around with Windows Movie Maker and getting the hang of it. Sure after a few little projects here and there you'll be really good with your editing, too.
Haha i've done more then a few projects in my filmschool, but I didn't get the chance to do anything on animals while I was in Newfoundland. Although, I did go up to Iqaluit to make my first documentary on my roots, meeting the family i've never met before.

I really wish I had one of those expensive indoor sets to film with, and a nicer camera would have been wonderful for this mating attempt ehheheh money where are you? :rolleyes::?

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say the video quality was really good! Try settling for a cheap webcam....what little sharpness there is in the clips I record, movie maker degrades a bit more and then Youtube has it's way with it. In the end it looks yucky. What you've got is luxury, nice and sharp quality.

Awesome and kind of sweetly tragic footage! :clap:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah! it is! poor boy :( thanks for watching! Im glad you didn't find the quality too bad then! also added some pictures to the first post ^^

Last edited:

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Should def add those pictures to bugguide.net! They don't have any palp shots like that there. :D Great photo!

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Marvelous! This is exactly what is needed. Was he webbing her down before attempting insertion? And did he die while inserted or did she get him?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't see very much web work going on. It was mostly him drumming it up. He seemed to smell the pheromones on her web when she ran away the first time i tried, because he kept touching it (like in the intro). Then he just kept gathering around her, theres a few points in the video where you can see her responding to him with a drum tap of her abdomen.

Really interesting stuff ^^ and yep he died while giving insertion, poor guy :( only got to do it once, and poof...that's no fun! At least he didn't die a virgin haha.

I am sad I wasn't in the right angle for the money shot of him inserting, but I think you guys got the picture lol. Ahh not very see through container either when the moment mattered, tear!

by the way tyro, your cheap web cam gets so close!! I get a shadow every time with my camera :( lol

thanks for watching everyone!! I hope to do this with a few more species around my house as I find males :)